Starter removal 1978 Mercedes 280CE M110 W123

Unable to replace the starter because I can't get to the top 10mm hex bolt. I believe the heat shroud on top of the starter , below the manifold stops me from getting at this bolt. How do you get this heat shroud off. I've looked everywhere, it doesn't want to come off. Is there another way to get to this hex bolt to remove starter.

Jake

Reply to
jsc1227

The upper bolt comes from the trans side. It should be a 10mm Allen head.

Reply to
Karl

Hi Jake

I was reading your message posted on the talkabout website. I own a 1982 Mercedes 230CE and are also trying to replace the starter motor (what fun). I have removed the two large bolts on the back of the motor and have located the bottom bolt, I have not yet found the top bolt.

Did you manage to get these 10mm bolts off ?. The bottom bolt appears to be an allen head, did you remove this with an allen socket or normal bolt socket ?.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or if you are still having trouble I will let you know how I get on later today.

Many Thanks

Paul

Reply to
paulayres