Starter ring gear repair.

Has anyone tried repairing a starter ring gear by welding up a new gear with hard-facing rod and re-machining it? I'm looking at replacing a $350 flywheel if the gear can't be repaired .Unfortunately the gear is integral
to the flywheel so it can't be replaced.
I meant to say "welding up a new gear tooth". Sorry

with