Steering Column Removal and Replacement

Hi,
I've been trying to replace my steering coupling in my '79 300SD and have a few questions about the steering column. I got to the point of removing the hood pad, now I need a socket that'll fit
the nut... So my question is, once I get that off, how do I proceed to remove the steering column? Do I need a steering wheel puller for that, and if so, can I just use any kind? Anything to watch out for?
Thanks guys,
Daniel
I find it a lot easier to do this by dropping the steering box......