Steering or Suspension?

Hi all

My 1998 C-Class 230K Sport has developed a knocking noise. It comes from the front of the car and sounds as though something is loose.

It's particularly noticeable when travelling on an uneven road/pot-holes/speed humps(to be polite) - in fact most of the UK road network.

Strangest thing is even the wife has noticed it! Shame she didn't hear the rattling timing chain on her Audi 'til it was too late, but that's a another story.

So: Steering or suspension? Anyone know which is more common on C-class? Are there any other likely possibilities? Where do I start?

Laugh first the post your ideas.

Thanks

Reply to
Robbiedoo

I would say it is suspension... particularly the struts.or the strut mounts.

Reply to
Tiger

It might also be as simple as the sway link bushings. These can emit a slight "knock" when the lossen up.

BTW, my wife can't tell when her car is having problems either. Of course, I probably would have save thousands by not fixing things until she noticed them.

Reply to
Josh

I would guess it's a suspension thing too. If it was steering it would be more likely to happen all the time. As it's happening on bumpy surfaces it would lead me to look at the suspension linkages, bushes and dampers first. Mike

Reply to
Just Mike

Replace the sway bar bushings. P.

Reply to