steering problems W123-200d

Hi all,

I've some problems with steering my 22-years old w123 200d.

I've to turn/rotate my steering wheel about 5 centimeters before the car is changing his direction. Or for example: When i'm driving on the highway, i can can just rotate my steering wheel left or right for about 5 centimeters without any change of directory.

I've heard that you can solve things by some simple actions on the steering house or power steering equipment.

Or maybe another cause and other solution ?

Has somebody experience ?

Thanks

Titus

Reply to
Titus Hotmail

There is an adjustment on the steering box. MB would like you to remove the box and adjsut it with calibrated tools to a specific point. But almost everybody just tightens it up a bit.

Note: there HAS to be 1" of free play or the whels will not self-center.

Undo the lock nut, and turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE a LITTLE BIT. Too tight is very very bad.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Any 22 year old car has worn parts. Steering looseness could indicate danger - or nothing but some gear wear.

Have a mechanic inspect the steering system for worn parts. The ball joints, the tie or link rods' end joints could be worn, the steering wheel's coupling to the steering gear box could be worn - nobody KNOWS until the car is inspected by a professional mechanic.

It's wrong for anyone to suggest adjusting anything until the steering system has be found to be OK. THEN it's time to make a small adjustment or two.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Good point. I assumed (possiby incorrectly) everythig else was ok because of the lack of a "oh and it makes a weird noise when I go over bumps".

Reply to
Richard Sexton

| Any 22 year old car has worn parts. Steering looseness could indicate | danger - or nothing but some gear wear. | |

Yep, im lucky to be alive after my merc started veering into a barrier wall at highway speed - had worn out coupling and the idler arm bushings were completely obliterated. I cant believe people let things like steering components and brakes go neglected. A life is worth more than a couple bucks.. I learnt the hard way and was lucky to get a second chance.

Reply to
taxman

The banging over bumps suggests worn tie rods. Very dangerous. Don't replace them with anything but new Mercedes parts. I had one aftermarket ball joint on mine that came apart because of a poor rubber seal letting in water and dirt. Very poor design. This could kill you, or someone else.

Be very careful if you adjust the steering box. It must be done when exactly centered or you can cause damage. Have a good MB mechanic check it out. If he can't explain what I just mentioned, he's no good.

Titus Hotmail wrote:

Reply to
coolmale48

In Holland, we have our yearly mandatory car check, done by certified mechanics. All crucial parts are checked, including the steering equipment. This way, the government prevents "ruines" driving on the road.

But there's a tolerance for steering looseness. (not for bad link rods, etc.) Eg a few centimeter looseness is allowed;

If it isn't necessary, i wouldn't like to replace the steering box. But only make the small adjustment.

Which nut do exactly mean ? Theres a nut/screw (with a rubber capsule) on the top of the powersteering pump and a (bad reachable because of laying on my back under the car) nut on the lower part of the steering box. This one is about 10 millimeter size.

Reply to
Titus Hotmail

It's on the steering box, not the pump.

It will be a nut, with a larger lock nut to keep the smaller nut from moving.

On my car (W126) it's on the top of the pump.

If this makes you nervous to adjust, have a mechanic who is competant with MB cars adjsut it for you. He will have done it before and should take less than 5 minutes. Less than one minute if he can find the tools in less than a minute :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton