Steering Wheel and Ignition Locked 1990 300E

My mom initially thought she locked the steering wheel on her Mercedes, but after I checked it out, I think her ignition is locked too. It won't turn to the left or right, it's just stuck there. I do recall
that she's been having probs with the turning the ignition before, difficulty turning it right, and sometimes, the position was off from the I and II . The keys work perfectly fine for the doors and trunk, except for the trouble she was having with the ignition.
I was reading this other thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/579229c8a45855a2/b97aeafacd417e3f?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3#b97aeafacd417e3f
and this one
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/d26943a2e7d65562/f9c13f5dab4df891?lnk=st&q=&rnum=6#f9c13f5dab4df891
I am assuming that my mom kinda waited long to deal with the problem, and that not only is her steering wheel locked, so is the ignition??? And I am assuming that now that the key won't turn completely, we're in a bad rut? We can't drive the car anywhere, it's just stuck on her driveway.
I am not a car expert, I just found this message board on google.com! and I am grateful I did. Hopefully someone can offer some advice! Anything would be appreciated.
I was wondering if locking the steering wheel caused this? The relationship seems kinda far fetched...
I don't even know if unlocking the ignition will do anything to the steering???? I don't even know if the steering wheel is locked, we are assuming it because the steering wheel won't move.
There's this website I found.. I don't know if I have any use for it...
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl668h.htm

- snip - ....... Hmmmm
Guenter Scholz wrote:

SORRY ABOUT THAT>>> I TALKED TO MY FRIEND, HE TOLD ME THAT THE IGNITION LOCKING IS PROBABLY FROM THE STEERING WHEEL BEING TURNED TOO FAR, KINDA LIKE AN ANTI-THEFT THING... WE ARE POSITIVE THAT THE STEERING WHEEL AND IGNITION ARE LOCKED.

Hi. Can you turns caps lock off please? Around these parts all caps MEANS YOU'RE SCREAMING which I doubt you are.
Danke.
Just try holding the steering wheel in between two locked position to get the tension off the ignition lock. Then while you are holding the steering wheel in position, try wiggling the ignition to on position... up... down... diagonally... circular motion... while trying to turn it on...
If you got it on... run to the dealer. If you didn't get it on... try wd40 or equivalence and try again.
CHRYSANTHAF: SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IGNITION TUMBLER IS AT FAULT HERE. I AGREE WITH TIGER... HAVE A PLAN ON WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO IF YOU GET IT STARTED. IT IS A HEADACHE IF YOU TRY TO DO THIS YOURSELF AND I DONT RECOMMED IT. BUT BE PREPARED TO SPEND APROX $600.00.
Here is a trick I used on a Honda yesterday, and has worked on several other ocasions, including one of the door locks on my 300d. Get a can of WD40 that has the little tube. Insert the tube in the lock cyl and spray until you see it running out. Insert the key in and out several times. Repeat the WD40 and repeat inserting the key in and out. Try turning the key as you do this. I may take several times, and it may not work at all but it is worth a try. If you get it unlocked, get the lock cyl replaced ASAP. This trick may not work again. If you take it to the dealer I think they can put in a temporary lock cyl (if the above trick works that is) (you have to turn the key on to remove the old lock cyl) and then order the correct one so all the locks will match, as they do now. Paul

chrysanthaf wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/579229c8a45855a2/b97aeafacd417e3f?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3#b97aeafacd417e3f
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/d26943a2e7d65562/f9c13f5dab4df891?lnk=st&q=&rnum=6#f9c13f5dab4df891
Vibrating the steering column with a sanding machine or something while attempting to turn the (lubricated) lock one last time has been known to work. (I read that somewhere)
Ximinez
Unfortunately it is not uncommon that the ignition key jams when it gets worn.
As you can see in other answers, there is a lot of tricks to get it operational.
Once you succeed, you should immediately bring it to a garage to have it at least temporarily fixed. If i stays jammed, the garage will have to replace the steering wheel lock and part of steering wheel rod assembly (expensive).
/Jens