steering wheel removal

I need to get to an ignition switch in my MB 500 SEL (1985). Does somebody have an experience how to remove a steering wheel (airbag equipped), and dashcluster on this car? Thanks. A.N.

Reply to
A.N.

But I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove the wheel or dash cluster to change the ignition lock - but I haven't done this.

Can you still turn the key?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I can turn a key. The "ONLY" problem is that I need to find possible short or ground in the area if ignition switch. I can not start an engine. Every time I turn a key the radio goes on. I already check a fuel pump, ignition module, fuel pump relay. Ignition swich is just possible place to check. I found for different MB, that you need to remove a steering wheel, dashbord etc. So, if somebody did something similar, please reply. A.N.

Richard Sext> > >I need to get to an ignition switch in my MB 500 SEL (1985). Does

Reply to
A.N.

Have you checked the neutral safety switch?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Neutral safety switch is new.

Reply to
A.N.

Well, if it won't start it's not geting one of the three: air, air, spark.

Which one is it not getting? Check the spark, and check for fuel.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Idid check all those too, ther'e is no spark. Can be it related after all to an ignition switch (after I fixed ICU)? Actually I changed burned resistor inside of ICU.

Reply to
A.N.

To remove the steering wheel on the early airbag cars, first disconnect the car battery; use a Torx t-30 driver to remove the screws on the back of the steering wheel and remove the airbag. The steering wheel is held in place with a single 10mm allen head screw, but the torque and loctite on the screw makes removal hard. Use a breaker bar and an assistant to hold the wheel while loosening in a counter clockwise direction. Make sure that the ignition lock is not engaged.

Reply to
MTI

It's *possible* but it'd be the first time I've ever heard of it. I'd tarace it back and see where the electrons stop.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks for the advices. What Ifound on the web might be interesting for mercedes DIY's : just go to

you will be surprized how much more is possible for less $.> Need Mercedes parts?
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff:
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages:
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD |

A.N.