Stereo Upgrade Problems

I read in an article the best way to improve audio is to upgrade the speakers. Car is 1992 190E 2.6, that seems to have had a factory phone set up, because the drivers side dash speaker, aside from the normal bullet connecter,(green and black wires) also had double A battery, sized condenser attached to it with a plastic strap that plugged into two wires (blue and brown) via 2 pronged factory plug . I installed two Kenwood 51/4 speakers in the rear and two Kenwood 4" in front using soldered on bullit connecters from old speakers. Both rear speakers went dead in two days, passenger side speaker output is 30% less than drivers side,.. sometimes less. Rehecking every thing I find ....OEM speakers are 6 ohm, Kenwoods are 4 ohm, 4" and 51/4"...Both door speakers work, ... (by running wires from dash speaker wires to door speaker contacts. Alpine amplifier in trunk not working properly (door speakers never made a sound) Dealer: "never heard of one going bad", "Two hours labor to check it out" What killed the rear speakers? Is that condenser vital to this system ? Dealer; "what condenser?.....Got a special telephone speaker in the book, costs 170.oo ........can anyone help untangle this

Reply to
r parris

CONDENCED VERSION In trying to upgrade my speakers I ran into a problem. The drivers side dash speaker Mercedes OEM had a double A battery sized condenser or resistor, soldered on to it attached by a plastic strap and plugged into a factory connector with blue and brown wires. I was told by a dealer this was "possibly" an in car phone setup speaker. I disconnected and unplugged this speaker. I installed two upgrade Kenwood 4 inch speakers rated at 4 ohm in dash ignoring the condenser/resistor connector and installed two 5-1/4 inch 4 ohm speakers in the rear. Rear speakers went dead. Drivers side dash speaker, loud and clear Passenger side dash speaker output varies from 70% to 0. Mercedes OEM paper speakers rated at 6 ohm please advise.

Reply to
r parris

Replace the (orginal?) head unit and bypass the stupid fader and all the mercedes wiring. Then you can use 4 Ohm speakers.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph