Sticking 89 560 SEL Cruise Control.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 89 560 SEL with a sticking cruise control. Twice this baby has had me a little stressed having to pull over and turn the engine off after using the cruise control. Both times there seems to be a lag in the gas pedal before using the cruise control to accelerate. e.g. You press down on the gas pedal and nothing happens, you keep pressing down about 50% to the floor, then Bam, it takes of like a rocket. Now you get to the speed you want to be at real fast..cause it's a 560SEL (;= Next you put the cruise control on by just hitting the accel lever. Everthing is good here. Now I just want to accel a few miles an hour to get just to the legal limit. Press the accel lever again and this heard of horses is off like a runaway stampede... Wow there.... hit the brakes... Nothing happens, I slow down but as soon as I take my foot of the brakes this 560 is off and running again. I thank Mercedes for Damn good brakes and my strong right leg to bring this heard to a halt. I have given the linkages under the airfilter and the linkage to the cruise control box a spray with lube but am sorta not looking forward to using the Cruise anymore. Any-one heard/had this happen. p.s. one more question. What is the big round switch on the floor under the gas pedal for ? It was lose and flopping around down there. Now safe back in it's holder.

Reply to
Chas O. Hall

The button under the pedal is trans kickdown.

Does your 89 560SEL have ASR?

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
Chas O. Hall

Acceleration Slip Control.

Do you just have linkage on top of the engine for throttle actuation?

Or do you have an electric motor? [NOT counting the silver box shaped cruise motor]

Reply to
Karl

I had similar problem once in my 91 560SEC with ASR. The accelerator pedal was so hard that I could not keep pushing it for long to drive the car. I had to disconnect the linkage to the cruise control motor to drive the car. I opened the electric motor and cleaned it, put it back and it worked fine again, no problem since then. This problem happened after I sprayed my engine bay with water to clean. I suspect some moisture got inside the electric motor.

Reply to
saeef