STRANGE RUBBING SOUND

My '92 190e 2.6 has developed low pitched... whrt....whrt...whrt... like a warped rotor sound, that speeds up and slows down with the car speed. No pedal pulsation, or brake shuder. It is most noticeable
when slowing for a light, or stop sign, or on smooth asphalt at 60mph with foot of the gas coasting. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission, left rear end area. The noise seems to have started after having center, and rear mufflers, and pipes replaced. Recently had differential fluid, and trans fluid, and filter changed, just to be sure. Could this be transmission problem? After fluid change, kickdown has gone from slightly pressing pedal, to having to stomp on it, to engage lower gear, with more than normal engine braking when removing foot from accelerator...??? thanks in advance..Rick
what's the mileage ?

Thanks for the reply, mileage is now 119,000. I havent checked yet for loose, or disconnected vacuum lines.
does the noise change when taking turns?

just asking...because if noise altered while taking turns, I'd check rear wheel bearings as well... mine did the "wrt wrt wrt" just out of no where...from one day to the other usually only one goes bad...Juergen has more info on that
just another though,
alex

The noise does not change when turning, just slows down. The sound seems to get louder, the longer I drive the car at highway speeds. I thought, maybe a dragging emergency(hand brake) shoe, but no dash lights are lit. The exhaust work was done by independent MB shop Is it possible some part is laying on, or touching the drive shaft? Sounds like a wobbling tire or dragging brake shoe (pad) I have no idea what a bad wheel bearing would sound like. Shop said mechanic spun the wheels and they sounded o.k why would it get louder as it gets warmer?

also check tires for obstacles in thread, unevenwear...lumbs etc.

with a pad draging, the dash light wouldn't necessarily be lit, as long as the lever is not pushed/pulled there might even be a loose or broken retaining spring, not pulling the pads to its rest correctly a draging pad would eventuelly wear in and the noise would disappear, but since we don't want that...u have to keep looking

i doubt something laying actually ON the drivetrain... take it back to this shop an have them check, I found a wrench once in my engine compartment, which someone from a local shop had left, while they were doing oil. these things happen

well, depending on what is making the noise, it can surely be directly associated with speed, rev, temperature...anything possible
i can think of: hardy discs cardan bearing tires (worn/bad/obsticle in thread) wheel bearings exhaust touching something exhaust mounts loose exhaust temp shield brake pads a worn/broken parking brake cable a loose break or fuel line touching the body fuel pump disattached (worn rubber mounts) motor mounts transmission mounts junk in the trunk.... i could go an ;O)
good luck finding it!