Stuck steering in w124

Page 1 of 2
Hi, my father's 1989 200D w124 has the steering locked, he can't turn the key. Does any one have any "quick" up their sleeves on how this could be fixed? Would prefer to just remove the whole locking mechanism,
don't care about security, nobody'd steal it.
TIA
cp

Just realized something, if the steering lock mechanism is removed would this be a problem if the car gets towed? Or this is there an external way of locking the wheels so the car doesn't zig-zag across the road when towed?
TIA
cp

No, this isn't right. Towing guys don't want the wheel locked either. they will take care of holding the wheel where they want it( usually with a belt or rope) ...
When you see a car being towed that isn't tracking straight... This is a car with locked steering, and a tow truck driver that doesn't have the key...
Marty

hmmmmm but when towing with the front of the car up on the tow truck, the back wheels are basically locked, so what is the difference?
Thanks, cp

Your transmission getting smoked that's what.

Even if it's not in gear (manual)?
cp

Usually not in that case :~)
Although with some manual setups it's still not recommended.
Marty
???
DAS

Apparently this depends on how the oil is circulated in? I don't know really... but a tow truck guy told me that towing some vehicles even in Neutral messes up the tranny.
Mart

I was told the same, when my standard transmission-ed pickup needed a (long) tow after an (ahem) incident with a much larger truck. If it is a matter of a few kms, the bearings have enough oil still on them, but any thing in the double-digit kms, the transmission has to be kept from turning, either with dollies or by disconnecting the driveshaft.
John M. '94 E320 carried on a flat-bed once
You have, of course, tried jiggling the wheel before turning the key? Sometimes the wheel is pressing hard against one side or the other of the lock. Then key can't be turned.
DAS

Of course, I thought that was what is normally done, turn the wheel a bit and turn key, maybe that was a sign of impending failure.
cp
It is normally done, depending on how the steering wheel is locked. If the front wheels are straight then little/no effort is required.
I always think that one has to start from the beginning, including with the obvious "Have you plugged it in?" type of question.
Presumably your towing question relates to the situation where the vehicle is lifted from the rear. Of course it can be lifted from the front, or taken off the road altogether, or stays on all four wheels and you steer... :-)
Maybe someone else will chime in with another suggestion.
DAS
Problem solved! Jiggled the front wheels around until the key could be turned, yay!!
cp

You (or any helper) must have strong arms...
DAS
:-) They were off the ground (the wheels). But even on the ground, a good shove with the leg will do.
cp

cp wrote:

This is a quite well known phenomenon with these cars.
Ignition key and lock do not match together any more after years of use.
You should go to a lock shop where they can make a copy of the key. Copy is usually slightly different than the original and it might work at least some months.
It's also possible to remove the lock but it takes a working key to do this.
Reg: Harri
Never happened to me (W124 230E) in 120 000 miles and 6.5 years...
And I don't recollect my dad reporting this either in his W124 200D.
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

200D from 1989 is not 6.5 years old car.
I had before W201 1988 and had this broblem with it. I know several others having it.
Reg: Harri
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

200D from 1989 is not 6.5 years old car.
I had before W201 1988 and had this problem with it. I know several others having it.
Reg: Harri