Styling questions: why did they...

On the sides of the windshield of the w126, the windshield is recessed into the pillars. It seems that would increase drag. Does it hold some advantage for water removal when raining or for snow?
And on the r107's, why do the windshield wipers go from left ro right when running instead of right to left like almost all other Mercedes since the early 60's?
So the water flows over the roof. A big difference in MB cars is that the front windows are pretty dry while driving in the rain which gives better vision.
Another good MB design is the skirt/seal at the door bottom. I do not mean the normal rubber seal. Look at the bottom of the door opening (the body side). There are two edges. The upper edge is inside the door while the lower edge is exposed to the outside. After driving in rain or snow, the upper edge stays clean and dry. When you step out, your clothes will touch the upper edge but it stays clean! I have not seen similar design in any other makers.