Sun Roof vs Moon Roof

Can someone explain the difference between a Sun and Moon Roof and the advantages of each?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Rei chert

Sun Roof vs Moon Roof Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Wed, Sep 17, 2003, 3:12am (PDT+7) From: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (John=A0Rei=A0chert) Can someone explain the difference between a Sun and Moon Roof and the advantages of each? Thanks John

**************************************************** Sun Roof is solid metal, opens and closes, for air circulation, etc. Moon Roof is plastic and has an interior panel that allows light (Moonlight) into the car without opening the roof. If I had a choice, I would do without either one! Just one more item to go wrong!
Reply to
Def Lizard

I am glad you asked that question. Ever since reading these newsgroups I have been wondering about that, as before that I had never heard the term "moon roof".

I thought it was yet another American term.

DAS Hic European

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Sunroof is a solid panel, while the moonroof is like a skylight with a window shade. One advantage to the moonroof (exterior tinted glass panel that opens/closes) is that you can open the interior sunshade to let in light, in any weather. The interior sunshade on our E320 has louvered vents so you can prop open the back of the glass roof for ventilation when parked in hot weather.

Scott D.

Reply to
Scott D

I thought this was a KIWI's term. The UV is too strong in NZ, so the NZder can only use the sunroof at night time..... Finally sunroof becomes moonroof.

:) Keith

"Dori Schmetterling" news:3f6831ed$0$270$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com

What he just said! As an old time VW tech I go back a long way with the "sunroof blues". I've never seen an auto mfr make the stupid things work right for more than a few months before cable stretch, misalignment jams, etc. start to occur.

It used to be virtually impossible to order some MB sedans in the USA without the moon roof option. Other than to slide the interior panel back mine is virtually never used. Unfortunately all three W210s I've had (97,

98, 00) all had dreadful rattling coming from the sliding panel and given the spotty to poor service I got on these cars, the likely chance a dealer tech would damage the car in a most likely futile attempt to fix the noise wasn't worth the risk. Let it rattle til the lease is up!

Sun Roof vs Moon Roof

Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Wed, Sep 17, 2003, 3:12am (PDT+7) From: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (John Rei chert) Can someone explain the difference between a Sun and Moon Roof and the advantages of each? Thanks John

**************************************************** Sun Roof is solid metal, opens and closes, for air circulation, etc. Moon Roof is plastic and has an interior panel that allows light (Moonlight) into the car without opening the roof. If I had a choice, I would do without either one! Just one more item to go wrong!
Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

The term 'moonroof' is not used here in th UK, we call them all sunroofs, solid or glass. They were all the rage in the 80's/90's. Only the base spec models didn't have them.

These days they are less common on new cars as most have aircon as standard

Reply to
Me

I have a 1984 500 SEC with a well operating sun roof. I guess a few months to you is 240. :-) They "used" to, but they don't build them like that anymore.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp

Yee Ha - Ya'll need to join the Texas crowd.

Not only do all cars have A/C - even those pesky little Ford Focus and Kia whatevers...) but the moon roof is alive and well even during the hottest of summer days. I have mine open to let the light in all the time. So what if it's 105 out. I like the natural light. I don't use it as a sun roof unless the temps are low. Besides, it's too damn noisy and causes the radio volume to go up and down...

RichieP

Reply to
RichieP

A sunroof (technically) opens front to rear and closes the opening in your car roof completely when closed. It is usually made of metal. A moonroof may open and close, but you can see through it when closed (maybe at the moon!) P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Well down here in Houston, we open the suckers after parking in the sun all day to let the 165f heat billow out. Houston is one of the few places where you have driving gloves for the SUMMER!

Lee

Reply to
Lee Sharp