Switch lights not working on '83 MB 300D

The center console switch lights (antenna, sunroof, etc.) do not illuminate when the head lights are turned on.

Seems strange that none of them illuminate. Only the rear defrost light illuminates on when I switch the defrost on.

I've replaced all the fuses.

Could this be one problem instead of all the switch bulbs being bad?

Jason

Reply to
Jason Jones

Behind the climate control switch panel is a light harness which has several bulbs, one of which is a single bulb which illuminates some fiber optic strands which lights up many of the switchs in that area. I believe the first bulb in that "harness" is the one which illuminates the fiber optics. The others are plugged into various sockets on your climate control box. The bulb pulls straight out from a plastic socket and is rather expensive (in my opinion) from your MB dealer. I usually check one of the discount parts houses (such as Pep Boys) for replacements. If you need further removal/install help Tiger is a genius at this sort of thing.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Yep... one bulb for all those switches. Tiny bulb but cost a bit. They do last forever though. 300D... should be very easy to get to it.

Reply to
Tiger

Jason, It's way back in the center behind the climate controls. Follow the five slender black fiber optic leads to the socket. Two go to antenna switch (for up & down logos). Bulb was just over a dollar Canadian at my dealer. Use the bulb that's in your headlight switch, (I think they're the same) and replace that easy-to-access one later at your leisure. Bulbs pull straight out. Don't twist. Put on your magnifying glasses and make sure the wire leads run straight up opposite sides of the glass bulb.

Reply to
aha

Folks -

On a similar topic, has anyone successfully repaired their Fiber Optic instrument lamp wiring?

Or am I the only fool to pull too hard on that little black lead not knowing what it was?

I need one of the leads repaired in my '74 240D, but am at somewhat lacking in Fiber Optic Cable Repairing skills. . .

Thanks in advance,

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

There is nothing to it... just tape it back up... or hook it back to where it is supposed to be... maks sure the tunnel path will allow light though to the other side... Perhaps a heat shrink tube will do the job best.

Reply to
Tiger

Good ideas, Tiger - thanks!

Reply to