Switching from driving on the right to driving on the left

Page 3 of 3
No, Seum, there are not dozens and dozens franchised (!) Merc dealers and especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer.
Do correct me if I am wrong.
Do you understand the difference between an independent and a franchised one?
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"Seum" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.con> wrote in message
DAS wrote:

Hello again DAS and thanks for your interest
I entered Google with: "merc franchised dealer" +Ireland
Here is what I got:
" 3 results (0.14 seconds)
1. JLA FORUMS - Switching from driving on the right to driving on the ... www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p0149941 7 hours ago – especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer. Do correct me if I am wrong. ... Get more results from the past 24 hours 2. Re: Switching from driving on the right to driving on the left alt ... www.web-shelf.com/.../Re-Switching-from-driving-on-the-right-to-driving... 7 hours ago – Merc dealers and especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer. ... Get more results from the past 24 hours 3. Courtesy car......What was yours like? - uk-mkivs uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/164116/1078340.aspx - United Kingdom - Cached 31 posts - 29 authors - Last post: 22 May 2008 Joined on Tue, Jun 13 2006; Location: Northern Ireland .... that wanted to charge me for insurance - my supplying Merc franchised dealer! ... Get more discussion results
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 3 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."
Was that exciting? There was nothing!
Il Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:04:15 +0100, Seum ha scritto:

driving...
I'd suggest to forget google and try the usual approach: start from the internation mercedes benz web site, than select Ireland. Than, Dealer locator (for example)... Here's my link, obtained as I wrote.
http://e-services.mercedes-benz.com/dsc_ie/Dispatcher.jam ? businessCase=DLp&dsc_locale=en_IE
Short version: http://tinyurl.com/433w25k
--
Ciao!

Stefano
Cordy wrote:

Cordy, my experience is that most of those MBZ dealers have little or no interest in 1984 cars. There are a few places in Ireland that deal with older components but they are very few. The garages do repairs and maintenance on the more recent cars. I have sent emails to many and got nothing for my efforts. One garage sent out my email request for parts to 100 different companies - no response. I even stuck my nose into the Mercedes Classic club, again with no success. So it's not as simple as you think.
Seum. the empty 6 sockets plugs are available in junker cars... all W123, all W124, all W126 and even W201. All european cars headlight sockets are 6 holes socket... you can even ask then to cut the wire off along with it so you can match the wires on your car. Color coding is same.
With this many cars choices... any junker yard should have them... maybe only cost you 2 quid or 2 euro. If you still can't get them, I can send you a pair of the empty sockets from USA. I have spares.
Il Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:22:10 +0100, Seum ha scritto:

That's not my experience (related to my country: Italy). I have a 1982 motorhome, based on Mercedes 207 D. EVERY single part is readily available from the local stock or can be ordered and arrives in a maximum of 48 hours from order, directly from the European spare parts center. It's expensive, but I could buy (just as an example) the original fuse- holder. A comparable fuse holder in the after market business was available, but the cost was only 5 euro lower and required extensive modifications to the wiring...
Just try to ask... ;) Mercedes is not Rexton or Ford... luckily for you!
If I may suggest a small hint: forget about email. Garage people is... old fashioned... :D
--
Ciao!

Stefano
Yes... garage people really are old fashioned... call.
The last resort is Mercedes Benz Classic division... they handle all classic parts.
Cordy/Stefano, several times I asked Seum if he had contacted a franchised garage and I already posted the links to the Mercedes-Benz Irish dealer locators, both for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but he doesn't seem to grasp it...
Of course there is no guarantee of sucess but M-B would always be my *first* port of call.
DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"Cordy" < snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.it> wrote in message
DAS wrote:

It is true that I did a search for Mercedes Benz franchised dealers and came up with exactly three zeroes. If I can get my modem running today, I will paste the 10, or more, Dublin MBZ garages with faxes. The vast majority of emails I sent out were not even acknowledged.
In any case, my thanks to you all for your efforts.
If you have reread my post... you would understand.
New headlight got 5 prongs... need a 6 holes plug... which you can get from dealer or wrecker yard... they comes apart... just like your 4 holes harness now. A flat screwdriver to one side will release the whole thing.
It has been a while so I don't remember which wire go to which hole... All you have to do is rearrange the wires to it is in proper location... if you look inside the headlight unit... you will at least recognize brown wire... which is ground and match the position to brown wire on the wire harness.
All other connectors are easy to trace by using the ohmmeter (part of multimeter) one would be to low beam... high beam... parking light... and fog light.
The parking light on the headlight would be where the parking light on the side light is suppose to connect to. A simple voltmeter will tell you which one is for parking light. Using ground on body and positive probe into one of the three holes on the signal light harness.
So once you find the wire you need... simply take it out of the plug... cut and splice the wire so it is longer to reach your headlight if needed... you do need that round plug thing to go into the headlight new harness in proper location.
Any mechanic with electrical knowledge can do it... it is so easy.
"Seum" wrote in message
Seum wrote:

Hello again Dear Buddies :-)
I have a few more things to report. I have the lamp units imported from Scotland, installed in my 1984 240D. These lamps are one piece. My old front lamps have a 7" diameter headlamp wired with 3 flat prongs and a smaller fog lamp that is clear, not orange.
The present lamp has 5 electric contacts or prongs, 3 in one row and 2 in the other. Now I have to get the "harness", as someone called it, and do some wiring. I assume this harness has 3 holes for one row and two for the other one.
The next task is to do the wiring or unwiring.
One of them is to knock out the front blinker lights on each side. The container that these are located in is glued firmly together and I cannot see whether there are two bulbs or just one with 2 filaments. More wires than 2 or 3 go into that container. Is the other filament or bulb a parking light or? The wiring diagram shows 2 bulbs, one for blinking (turn signals) and the other for parking.
Thank you for your kind attention :-)
TIA :-)
Thanks again Tiger,
Yesterday I traced, on the MBZ wiring diagram, a black/white wire from the turn signal lamp, on the left side of the car, down to a harness in the car's trunk. There is also a wire from the same point on that harness going to the rear left turn signal lamp and a wire that goes back, from that same point on the harness, to the dashboard area. Now it seems to me that if I cut the black/white wire coming out of the front left turn signal lamp, that lamp would be dead and the rear turn signal lamp would be ok. Right or?
Tiger wrote:

Just follow this link.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t 3980
"Seum" wrote in message

That was interesting Tiger. So the "harness" is just simply soldered caps for each prong. Was the color of the wires in the pictures the same as when the car was manufactured? They look a bit strange to me - not the schwartz/weiss oder grau/rot, usw. Nein?
I have been trying to send a fax to a bunch of MBZ garages but I can't get my new Zoom modem to work with Win 7. Ooohhhh, when will it ever end :-(