Switching from driving on the right to driving on the left

Thank you DAS and DAS. Most kind of you both :-)

There are dozens of Mercedes dealers in Ireland but very few of them have parts that are 25 years or so old.

I sent an email to ACE Autobody a couple of days ago but no response yet. I'll buzz them in the morning.

Reply to
Seum

No, Seum, there are not dozens and dozens franchised (!) Merc dealers and especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

Do you understand the difference between an independent and a franchised one?

DAS

Reply to
DAS

Hello again DAS and thanks for your interest

I entered Google with: "merc franchised dealer" +Ireland

Here is what I got:

" 3 results (0.14 seconds)
  1. JLA FORUMS - Switching from driving on the right to driving on the ...
    7 hours ago ? especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer. Do correct me if I am wrong. ... Get more results from the past 24 hours 2. Re: Switching from driving on the right to driving on the left alt ...
    7 hours ago ? Merc dealers and especially garages in Ireland. My point is that you did not, apparently, consult a Merc-franchised dealer. ... Get more results from the past 24 hours 3. Courtesy car......What was yours like? - uk-mkivs uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/164116/1078340.aspx - United Kingdom - Cached 31 posts - 29 authors - Last post: 22 May 2008 Joined on Tue, Jun 13 2006; Location: Northern Ireland .... that wanted to charge me for insurance - my supplying Merc franchised dealer! ... Get more discussion results

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 3 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

Was that exciting? There was nothing!

Reply to
Seum

Il Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:04:15 +0100, Seum ha scritto:

I'd suggest to forget google and try the usual approach: start from the internation mercedes benz web site, than select Ireland. Than, Dealer locator (for example)... Here's my link, obtained as I wrote.

Short version:

Cordy

Cordy, my experience is that most of those MBZ dealers have little or no interest in 1984 cars. There are a few places in Ireland that deal with older components but they are very few. The garages do repairs and maintenance on the more recent cars. I have sent emails to many and got nothing for my efforts. One garage sent out my email request for parts to 100 different companies - no response. I even stuck my nose into the Mercedes Classic club, again with no success. So it's not as simple as you think.

Reply to
Seum

Seum. the empty 6 sockets plugs are available in junker cars... all W123, all W124, all W126 and even W201. All european cars headlight sockets are 6 holes socket... you can even ask then to cut the wire off along with it so you can match the wires on your car. Color coding is same.

With this many cars choices... any junker yard should have them... maybe only cost you 2 quid or 2 euro. If you still can't get them, I can send you a pair of the empty sockets from USA. I have spares.

Reply to
Tiger

Il Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:22:10 +0100, Seum ha scritto:

That's not my experience (related to my country: Italy). I have a 1982 motorhome, based on Mercedes 207 D. EVERY single part is readily available from the local stock or can be ordered and arrives in a maximum of 48 hours from order, directly from the European spare parts center. It's expensive, but I could buy (just as an example) the original fuse- holder. A comparable fuse holder in the after market business was available, but the cost was only 5 euro lower and required extensive modifications to the wiring...

Just try to ask... ;) Mercedes is not Rexton or Ford... luckily for you!

If I may suggest a small hint: forget about email. Garage people is... old fashioned... :D

Reply to
Cordy

Yes... garage people really are old fashioned... call.

The last resort is Mercedes Benz Classic division... they handle all classic parts.

Reply to
Tiger

Cordy/Stefano, several times I asked Seum if he had contacted a franchised garage and I already posted the links to the Mercedes-Benz Irish dealer locators, both for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but he doesn't seem to grasp it...

Of course there is no guarantee of sucess but M-B would always be my *first* port of call.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

It is true that I did a search for Mercedes Benz franchised dealers and came up with exactly three zeroes. If I can get my modem running today, I will paste the 10, or more, Dublin MBZ garages with faxes. The vast majority of emails I sent out were not even acknowledged.

In any case, my thanks to you all for your efforts.

Reply to
Seum

Thanks again Tiger,

Yesterday I traced, on the MBZ wiring diagram, a black/white wire from the turn signal lamp, on the left side of the car, down to a harness in the car's trunk. There is also a wire from the same point on that harness going to the rear left turn signal lamp and a wire that goes back, from that same point on the harness, to the dashboard area. Now it seems to me that if I cut the black/white wire coming out of the front left turn signal lamp, that lamp would be dead and the rear turn signal lamp would be ok. Right or?

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Seum

Just follow this link.

Thanks again Tiger,

Yesterday I traced, on the MBZ wiring diagram, a black/white wire from the turn signal lamp, on the left side of the car, down to a harness in the car's trunk. There is also a wire from the same point on that harness going to the rear left turn signal lamp and a wire that goes back, from that same point on the harness, to the dashboard area. Now it seems to me that if I cut the black/white wire coming out of the front left turn signal lamp, that lamp would be dead and the rear turn signal lamp would be ok. Right or?

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Tiger

That was interesting Tiger. So the "harness" is just simply soldered caps for each prong. Was the color of the wires in the pictures the same as when the car was manufactured? They look a bit strange to me - not the schwartz/weiss oder grau/rot, usw. Nein?

I have been try> Just follow this link.

Reply to
Seum