synthetic engine oils

Am I allowed to use synthetic engine oil 10/30 in my 1995 E 320 I just aquired it with 35,000 miles. The car has been serviced at the MB dealer with 15/40 standard oil.
JcK
Am I allowed to use synthetic engine oil 10/30 in my 1995 E 320 I just aquired it with 35,000 miles. The car has been serviced at the MB dealer with 15/40 standard oil.
JcK
that would be fine.
10-30 should be fine but see what weight the owner's manual says to use. I don't know what kind of weather you live in, but the answer to the basic part of your question (can you use synthetic). The only thing is if the car already leaks with regular oil, it will leak more with synthetic. If it doesn't leak with regular it won't leak with synthetic. Richard
Am I allowed to use synthetic engine oil 10/30 in my 1995 E 320 I just aquired it with 35,000 miles. The car has been serviced at the MB dealer with 15/40 standard oil.
JcK
I am in the Okanagan in BC canada Very moderate climate from 15 to 80 F

hey! Beautiful part of the world you live in...
Hi from Seattle.
Use Mobil 1 0W40 to cover your climate area.
Opinions vary on leaks but I don't think synthetics leak anymore than dino. Facts are elusive to find. I've been using Mobil1 in my 83 300SD and it makes a noticeable differnce in how quiet the engine runs, how much easier it starts in winter and how your wallet feels thinner, but I swtich to dino in summer. You can extend the change interval by 50 to 100% and you'll let the next owner have a better engine. Personally I don't think there are any justifiable economics for synthetics unless you buy a brand new car and are religious in maintenance so you'll get a half to a million miles without out any engine work. But very few do that so it's a splurge because it costs more, it's high tech, and you can hear and feel the difference (try it in your auto transmission), and you can tell the next buyer that you really tooik care of the car and Exxon Mobil. hihihi 73 Hank WD5JFR

Two, but it's been my experience and that of various mechanics.

Not everybody agrees on this, especially not with the already high benz suggested intervals. Remember, chances are 10:1 you are doing severe driving (which is why audi/vw recently have extended warranties to any work done on the 1.8T engine that was the result of sludge build up: customers found the severe/non-severe misleading and now audi/vw has moved to just one interval recommendation in the middle of the two.

Sludge is much less a factor with synthetics. If you used dino for a 100k miles, open up your valve covers and see what you find.

I hope you mean try synthetic ATF in your auto tranny and not synthetic oil in the tranny.
Richard

Those of us who own Diesels open our valve covers on a regular basis. I've yet to see any sludge in my engines at 200,000+ miles with non-synthetic oils.

I used Mobil 1 ATF in one of my Mercedes transmisions. Nearly every hard part died a early death.
I had the B2 valve repalced 2 years ago in my 83 300SD with 100,000 mi and had them put Mobil1 atf and I noticed a difference in how the transmission shifted,it was smoother. No leaks. As far as sludge goes I don't think diesels get it. I've had several and taken a 78 300CD to over 300,000 miles and never saw any sludge on top of the head. If you wanted to you could wipe it clean to shiny metal with a rag and no elbow grease. I doubt you could do that with a gasser. I now have a leak between the oil filter housing and the block and I guess that's abear of a job. Right now I'm waiting on some glow plugs, car wouldn't start at 20 deg F, 2 were open and the relay was working on one pair of contacts since new.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"VCopelan" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
My $.02 - I did a LOT of googling on this, and the main gripe seemed to be that if your seals were covered with varnish that kept them from leaking, a synthetic might eat away that varnish and cause seals to leak which had not been up to that point.
Other than that, I was seeing testimonies of 12,000 mile intervals on the diesels, with an oil filter change and touch up every 6K or so. I'm considering going with it, but I've got a rebuilt with only 10K or so miles on it. It's been sitting in a garage for 8 years, though. It's a risk, but I'll keep ya posted if I actually do it.
tweaks
nonviolent and so forth. In effect, however much he may deny it, the oversocialized leftist wants to integrate the black man into the system and make him adopt its values. 30. We certainly do not claim that leftists, even of the oversocialized type, NEVER rebel against the fundamental values of our society. Clearly they sometimes do. Some oversocialized leftists have gone so far as to rebel against one of modern society's most important principles by engaging in physical violence. By their own account, violence is for them a form of "liberation." In other words, by committing violence they break through the psychological restraints that have been trained into them. Because they are oversocialized these restraints have been more confining for them than for others; hence their need to break free of them. But they usually justify their rebellion in terms of mainstream values. If they engage in violence they claim to be fighting against racism or the like. 31. We realize that many objections could be raised to the foregoing thumb-nail sketch of leftist psycholog

Same here. Richard
registered or not, may be made a crime, and the same thing may happen with disapproved methods of child-rearing, such as spanking. In some countries, expression of dissident political opinions is a crime, and there is no certainty that this will never happen in the U.S., since no constitution or political system lasts forever. If a society needs a large, powerful law enforcement establishment, then there is something gravely wrong with that society; it must be subjecting people to severe pressures if so many refuse to follow the rules, or follow them only because forced. Many societies in the past have gotten by with little or no formal law-enforcement. 27. (Paragraph 151) To be sure, past societies have had means of influencing behavior, but these have been primitive and of low effectiveness compared with the technological means that are now being developed. 28. (Paragraph 152) However, some psychologists have publicly expressed opinions indicating their contempt for human freedom. And the mathematician Claude Shannon was quoted in Omni (August 1987) as saying, "I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to humans, and I'm rooting for the machines." 29. (Paragraph 154) This is no science fiction! After writing paragraph 154 we came across an article in Scientific American according to which scientists are actively developing techniques for identifying possible future criminals and for treating them by a combination of biological and psychological means. Some scientists advocate compulsory application of the treatment, which may be available in the near fu
Youcould, but several MB techs told me to use the type of oil that came with my car and it will only last my lifetime. P.
<DIV><STRONG>Am I allowed to&nbsp;use synthetic engine oil 10/30 in my 1995 E 320</STRONG></DIV> <DIV><STRONG>I just aquired it with 35,000&nbsp;miles.</STRONG></DIV> <DIV><STRONG>The car&nbsp;has been serviced at the MB dealer with 15/40 standard oil.</STRONG></DIV> <DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><STRONG>JcK</STRONG></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I would recommend changing to Mobil 1 0W40. It is recommended for all current MB models. It is one of the few which meets the stringent MB 229.5 standard. I use it all three of my MB's (including my 1995 E320). It is more difficult to find. I get mine at Autozone.