synthetic oil for diesel 86 sdl

I normally use an AGIP synthetic for my 86 300SDL, recommended by my MB mechanic. The winters are just too cold here in the northeast (Vermont) to use conventional in a diesel. I just moved to
the boonies, and the only synthetic I can get around here is Castoil syntec 5W-50, or Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30. Would either of these be OK for a diesel in very cold weather? Thanks,
Jim
Mobil 1 5-40 (also known as Truck/SUV oil). According to many diesel experts from another news site, it is same as Delvac-1. I have been running my 85 300SD on this oil for over a year now. Had no problems last winter here in NJ.
Anil Bharucha 1985 300SD 210,xxx mi
There are two aspects to lube oil: its SAE weight and its Service Category.
You need to use diesel service category oil, not below 10 SAE weight, see the API chart.
http://api-ep.api.org/quality/index.cfm?bitmask 2001005005000000
have used Mobile 1 in my '91 SDL since I acquired it in '94. Never any problems, 'course I'm in the south!
DAve

On 25 Oct 2005 08:14:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

level.
Use Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5w-40. It is CI-4 rated, and available at WalMart for about $20 per 5 quart jug.
Most of those automotive synthetics are not CI-4 rated, so you might as well get something better for essentially the same price.