Synthetic Oil in 300SL?

I have a 92 300SL with 86,000 miles that I just acquired. Looks like it has used Castrol and Mobil oil over it's lifetime. I am considering switching
to Mobil 1 synthetic. Any comments or suggestions?
A good idea. You may find yourself having to change it early the first time as Mobil 1 is highly detergent and will loosen any deposits in your engine.
--
MC
"Steve & Cora Jaques" < snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
Not needed but why not? It makes the engine's idle a bit quieter in my experience and supposedly lasts longer than regular oil, so it's just a matter of 50% more $.
I have a 92 300SL, After the dealer service periods, I only put semi-synthetic oil in it (tried mobil 1 couple of times). The car now 10 years old, the engine is running fine (it hasn't got any major problem yet). What good is for your engine is to replace the oil regularly with the right quality oil.

Great choice in motor oil, http://store.yahoo.com/parkplacemotorcars/redlinprod.html

At first sight some of the bottles look like nail polish.
Well, the cars are just a fashion accessory.
DAS --