TE fuel system

hi just out of interest while replacing the rusty bits in my fuel system I discovered my '88 230TE has two petrol pumps, one of the earliest with this change.... anybody know
why Merc changed this, also would it do any harm to re-plumb without the extra pump?
Your fuel system requires both in series.
Do NOT replace with just one!!

230TE
know
hmm yes , looked again think I must have been looking at the wrong pictures, might have been for a Diesel not an earlier petrol system - my Russian isn't all it could be... On second thoughts I suppose the first pump is low pressure to the 'accumulator'? and the second is high pressure to the injector? cheers anyway!
No, they are identical pumps. They work in series.

kay thanks for that, so, is it normal to have two pumps, or is there some particular reason for two? Do other Mercs use two pumps ?
cheers!
These pump are cheap on ebay new... check them out.