that pesky gutter drain

OK, I've finally determined that my gutter on the passenger side of my 84 300D is clogged up somewhere and water is draining into the back floor - yes, I know its one of those "FAQs" that arrive so often - but
the problem is that I can't seem to get those plastic "gutter guards" off to access the drains. Is there a secret that I don't know about? I've been to the trunk and tried to work my way back to the opening but can't quite reach up that far.
thanks in advance,
terry solomonson