The cars Mercedes failed to make

Hi folks,
just recently german classic car magazine Motor Klassik brought a comparison between the most terrific german cars of the 70's: Porsche 930
Turbo, BMW M1 and Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9. In this article editor Alf Cremers suggested that Mercedes made a mistake by not fitting the 6.9 engine to the C107 Mercedes 450 SLC. He uttered the opinion that this would have been the ultimate Gran Turismo of the 70's. Okay, here is my question: Which cars did Mercedes fail to launch to market? Here are my entries to the wish list:
1. Mercedes C111/2 (Ford finally launched the GT40, so come on, guys!) 2. Mercedes W126 convertible (the handmade converted cars look promising)
Frank

Citro๋n Xantia - Made in Trance
โœ–

3. Mercedes 300SLD turbodiesel (oil-burning W107 for the frugal)
4. Mercedes 450STE (W116 premium station wagon for the American market).
Thinking outside the box, Geoff
'91 300D 2.5 89K '82 300CD 162K
--
"Unless one understands that leftist ideals function as a
religion, one cannot understand the Left." -- Dennis Prager
writes:

5. 300cd (w123) cabriolet
Bernard '79 300sd
Add pictures here
โœ–
<< >> Okay, here is my question: Which cars did Mercedes fail to launch

5. 300cd (w123) cabriolet >><BR><BR>
A real S-class! Regards, Jayanthan (Jay) Bala. P.S. In the future please use: [ snipped-for-privacy@hitpix.net]
Add pictures here
โœ–
What's that?
DAS
โœ–
Jay1Bala wrote:

They did make a "real S-class." It was the W126. ;-)
--
CND

Add pictures here
โœ–
Interesting comment about the 450SLC. My daily driver is a '73 450SLC, and in my opinion, the car is heavy enough as it is. Putting a larger engine in would probably require major suspension and frame re-design.
Steve

Add pictures here
โœ–