The future's here.

dans l'article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, T.G. Lambach à snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net a écrit le 26/02/05 02:53 :

This article shows us that when we buy a car today, we buy a computer. The engine is the software. Whenever a bug comes along you really feel helpless.

A good thing that the body of our car (the hardware) is somewhat accessible and workable by ordinary people.

Reply to
Jacques Letendre

Uhhh, no. The engine is still hardware.

Also, most modern cars have much more then one computer. 4 is more normal, and 6 or 7 isn't unusual either.

Being a computer systems guy for a living, I do prefer to NOT have excess electronics in my cars.

Also, I think the impression that article gives, that reflashing a chip makes your 1.8L bug go super fast is a big steaming bunch of crap.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

As if. About 6 years ago a friend of mine who is an accomplished unix kernel programmer bought an Audi A4 or A6 or something. He kept having problems with the power seat having to pull over, shut the car off to reboot the eleven microprocessors in the seat alone.

Audi replaced the whole seat under warrenty.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

And this is supposed to be an improvement? I don't think so.

Reply to
Eye O. Newt