the oddest sound this a..m.

On the way into work I got this 1-second tone of about 1KHz. It interrupted my Petula Clark tape! (Tape didn't stop running.)
Anyone heard that sound before?
Collin KC8TKA E320/97

Nope; I don't have any Petula Clark tapes.
Sorry, that was too easy.
-Bruce
Funny you mention this. About a month or so ago my wife said that almost the same thing happened (well, except for the Petula Clark part) when driving our '95 E320. She had just pulled out of the driveway and heard a beep like a warning buzzer. I didn't hear it nor had I ever heard of this occurring before and since there was no check engine light, etc. I wrote it off to something else in the car like her cell phone.
Now I'm rather curious as to what this might have been (or is it some harbinger of imminent doom...).
Josh
It's the "time to clean the tape head" reminder beep. No need to reset it, just reminds you every so many hours of play to toss in a cleaner/demagnetizer tape for a few seconds.

Unfortunately she wasn't playing a tape when it happened....
Hmm. Well that is what the original poster's Petula Clark's tape problem probably was, as I hear it on mine about every 40 hours of play (I use the tape for my XM converter/MP3 player cassette converter device). Your beep must have been something else although I don't know what it could have been.

Do you have a cell phone? My stereo will do that (Even though it is an aftermarket Alpine) when it is receiving a text message or changing signal towers.
No cell phone. I'm guessing that my wife heard something else and attributed it to the car. It hasn't happened since then - so I won't worry about it unless it happens again.
Thanks all.
Josh