The Right Mercedes???

I think I have come to the right place. First, let me say I know absolutely zero about Mercedes automobiles. This means I don't know one model from another also.
I have a hunch the Mercedes automobile is a fine machine. I would like to find a sedan made since 1990 that would suit my tastes and pocketbook. I am not interested in the large sedan or any of the sportier models. Is there a classic model that would suit someone like me . . . car that is fun to drive and own?
I await your expert responses.
Thanks,
Tom
Budget? Location?
DAS
Your message implies a general indifference to cars. IMHO one must be at least interested to undertake ownership of an older M-B.
You are probably looking for a 4 door sedan; its engine type and size will depend upon your local's traffic, your driving - city vs. freeway etc. Gas engines for performance, diesels for fuel economy.
Of course your capital budget is a factor; for (as with any car) one wants the most recent model that one can afford. Cars have improved a lot in the last years.
You should know that the repair costs for M-B cars is very high and repairs (for M-B or any car) tend to occur in bunches - until one is ready to scream. If that's not appealing to you then M-B isn't your car, rather lease a new high volume car model and simply turn it in at the expiration of its lease and then lease another new car.
Thanks T.G. for responding to the message I posted. I guess the reason I came off as seeming indifferent is that getting another car is not a crisis.
I am 74 years old and live in Ohio. Last year I purchased a Toyota Avalon which is a nice car. My wife drives it. I drive an older Honda Accord.
To me the Mercedes, with the classic looking bonnets, always appeared as fine machines that only the wealthy could afford.
Before I even try to acquire a Mercedes, I need to educate myself about the models. As with most automobiles, there is probably the top of the line, and on down to bare bones. Maybe not.
I thought I would let you know my situation, and maybe you could point me in the right direction.
Best Regards, Tom
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Thomas Buy the car that looks good to you. You are looking for a fun car. Something you feel good driving. If you are interested in learning more about it when it does something you don't like, then jump into this forum (and others) and some of the "experienced" folks will help you. ("Experienced" - - Oh, I remember when I broke that! Took all weekend to fix! )
Larry In the back yard, under the oak.
OK, Tom, I get the picture.
First, consider whether you want a "car" or a classic.
You currently drive a "car", perfectly reliable, safe and comfortable.
A M-B "car", and a pretty good one at that, would be a 300E or E320 from 1987 on. This is a standard four door sedan with a straight six engine, four speed automatic. Some of these were built with all wheel drive, an option to have only if one really needs it, IMHO.
I own a '97 E320, it's a nice to drive and a fine freeway cruiser. These can be bought for as little as $12K and as much as $22K depending on condition. Always try to buy the newest and best quality M-B that you can find and afford - for cheap M-Bs are a fool's bargain. The high repair cost of bringing a beaten car back to a reasonable quality standard is too high. All that said, I'm sad to say that a used M-B will have more repairs and repair cost than a Honda or Toyota. Owning a M-B is an indulgence, like having a trophy wife - glamorous but expensive.
The second path to consider is to buy a classic. This takes time and knowledge and one must be an enthusiast to justify the cost. Something like a a two seat roadster 450SL ('73 to '80), 560SL (mid '80s) are popular, hold their value relatively well and typically have lower mileage than their sedan siblings of the same age. These two seaters have V-8 engines, another version the 380SL (early '80s V-8) is underpowered, IMHO, for the car's weight.
Old sedans are another area to consider but that subject is simply too large for this note. Some of these old classics are pretty simple others are overly complicated and therefore very expensive to have repaired. I assume by the cars that you now drive, that you, yourself, don't repair and maintain your cars, if that's true then a classic may not be the right choice for part of owning an old car is to tinker with it! I own a '80 300SD, bought new, a larger turbodiesel sedan whose old technology is all mechanical, relatively simple and can be repaired and maintained by an owner.
I hope this frames the issue, also see www.mbusa.com and look for prior models in the site.
Tom
Have you seen the 1986 Mercedes 560 SEL with 16359 miles. Great car high price. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemE07295621&categoryc32 Al

On 2004-11-26 11:27:02 -0800, "T.G. Lambach"
<SNIP>

I resemble that remark :~) Actually if you know what you are doing you can get a better deal on an older cheaper MB, BUT as I tell anyone who asks, if you can't do the repairs yourself.... brace yourself.
Marty