Thick Air Hose for Oil Cooler

How long will a pretty thick walled air hose (1/8" wall) last if a section of the oil cooler line is replaced with this? I expect it would...what...melt/disintegrate through at some point and I'd lose
all of my oil in a hurry?
'87 300D Turbo
P.S. It's in place already from the previous owner and I am trying to avoid replacing it.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Michelle) wrote in message

Surely you know the answer to this question. Replacing the hose with the right one is inexpensive and easy. The failure could be catastrophic. Plus, if it's not rated for oil and is deteriorating, where do you think the debris is going?
Well, I can't replace it easily. My oil cooler was damaged, so since the oil cooler has been removed, this small length of hose I am talking about just links the two fitttings that are on the correct hoses. If replaced the oil cooler which is about $300, there wouldn't be any issue. The air hose is like new and quite heavy duty, so it isn't deterioating _yet_ I'd venture, but that's what I am asking: How long will it take to yield "catastrophic" results?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote in message

I don't have a diesel, but I just have to wonder about the logic of using an air hose (regardless of the wall dimensions) to carry a hot (e.g. +180 degrees F) petroleum product (oil). Heck, even household plumbling is rated based on temperature - and that's just carrying water. Mixing rubber and hot oil does not seem like a good option in either the long or short term. The rubber will break down and send contaminants into your engine. Will the line have a catastrophic failure? Hard to say - but I'd wager that the fittings will fail first (since the line is not oil/heat rated I'd guess that the gaskets aren't either). In the very least you should use a braided steel line oil line - tons of them are available for all sorts of cars - with fittings/gaskets that are also rated for oil. Of course it seems like spending the $300 you mention to replace the oil cooler would be a wise investment.

Well, I can't replace it easily. My oil cooler was damaged, so since the oil cooler has been removed, this small length of hose I am talking about just links the two fitttings that are on the correct hoses. If replaced the oil cooler which is about $300, there wouldn't be any issue. The air hose is like new and quite heavy duty, so it isn't deterioating _yet_ I'd venture, but that's what I am asking: How long will it take to yield "catastrophic" results?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote in message

Use only hose rated for carrying oil for carrying oil.
DO NOT USE AIR HOSE FOR CARRYING OIL.
Marty