Thinking of buying 1993 190E - Input wanted

Hello All, I'm really new to MB. I've had BMWs, Audi, and Saabs but no MBs. I've come seeking knowledge from the MB Enthusiast Collective. :-) I have the option to buy a 1993 190E with 145k miles. It's an 2.3L 4 cylinder with an Auto tranny. Green Exterior and Tan Leather interior.

The Known issues are: 1. All of the power windows don't work. (Anyone have any input on what I should check etc?) 2. The A/C doesn't work. Doesn't blow cold. 3. The sunroof works, but has some through the paint scratches which look like it was rubbing at one time?

The asking price is 2,000.00 USD. Is it worth it for the price, and then to fix it up?

Here's a link to a picture:

Please let me know what you think. :-)

Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

For power windows, if all don't work then most likely it is a electrical problem. Check fuses and switches. The A/C maybe out of gas because of a leak somewhere. This can be expensive to repair if the compressor is bad. Sunroof can be out of alignment and leaks air/rain. Check if the car had accident

Reply to
saeef

I bought a 1986 190e about 15 months ago, in preparation for my daughters birth. My wife wasn't happy with my daily driver which was a

1968 Buick GS... Women.

Anyhow, the car I bought had 110,000 Miles on it. Overall it was in excellent physical shape for a car of that age (ie NO rust, a few very minor rock chips.).

I paid $2700 for it Plus $400 for new tires and another c400 for other issues I pursued at that time. The car continues to run great and to improve under my ownership. I enjoy driving it, and have loaned it to several visitors all of whom are amazed that such an old car could be so solid.

That said, things you could expect to be wrong that make it a bad deal.

1) Tranny problems? Does it shift right and feel solid when it shifts (ie no flaring). 2) The engine. Does the oil pressure look good (all the way up at cold start, at least 1.5 when hot). Does it sound right? Did the previous owner change the oil regularly? 3) If air conditioning is important to you (you live in FLA), then you are going to spend some serious $ on fixing that (most likely). 4) The front end. This isn't as big a deal breaker as engine/tranny, but is a safety concern for cars with that many miles...

The Power windows is probably a fuse.

Good Luck, marty

PS It's not a powerful car. It's surprisingly comfortable on the highway though...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

We have a 1993 190E, though 'only' 2 l (auto gearbox, like most Mercs in the UK). Drove it from new. After some years of normal or above-ave motoring, the car is down to 5 - 10 miles a week (with the occasional 50-mile outing like today), and has reached about 71 000 miles.

There was one stage where I spent a stack on repairs but now it's fine.

It's left for 2 - 3 weeks but starts first time. Lovely motor. Worth about GBP 2K, I reckon.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I would hold out for a 190E 2.6 engine much better performace!

Reply to
r parris

True, but I chose the 4 cylinder on purpose. Better mileage, very reliable and much easier to work on as there is more room under the hood...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Very true....The 2.6 is a knuckle buster to work on because it is shoe-horned into a 4 cylinder design car unless you pull the front bumper and radiator. I have gotten really good at it by now...less than 20 minutes.

On the plus side the 2.6 is a much smoother running car, like a real Mercedes.

Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek