Thinking of buying 1999 SLK

Hi All, some advice would be appreciated. My son (20 yrs) is itching for his first 'real' car... and it should be a converible - of course. I've come across a manual '99 SLK with 100,000 miles (160k km). Asking price is CDN $10k probably doesn't make much sense to translate this to costs elsewhere, but it was somewhere around CDN $50k new. Anything to watch out for? I imagine I should leave the roof partway open and see if it remains there or moves if the pistons are leaking hydraulic fluid... any trouble spots wrt rust? Thanks for any hints

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Review the threads over at BenzWorlds R170 forum. Lots of good threads in regard for things to inspect.

-

I don't know much of SLK but alot of reseach can be done online for the car... as usual... edmunds.com, nadaguides.com and kbb.com for some price info.

If anything, I'd have the car inspected by MB dealer before purchase if possible or get all service records.

Reply to
Tiger

Ahh, of course. thanks for that

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Absolutely, would not think of doing otherwise. but the hope was to short list a bit. BTW, the above guides as price indicators are not too useful in countries other than the US.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz