Thinking of buying an SLK

I was think of buying a used SLK maybe a 1999 or a 2000. Is there a big difference in the 2 models? Secondly, it snows here on Long Island - how are they in light to
medium snow. Someone told me that they are just a bit bettter then ice skates which could be a real problem for me.
Thanks
I have a '99 SLK Sport model, and the only way I can tell the 2000 model from mine, on the outside, is by the door handles. The car had black rubber handles from its introduction through 1999, then the handle was made the same color as the car.
I live in Chicago, but rarely drive in snow. I was retired when I bought my car, so I had the luxury of staying home until the streets have been cleared. Once, I got stuck on some ice in an alley, and the special "winter" gear helped me get out of it, but for a while I thought I would be there forever.