Thinking out loud.

I'm considering trading in my 99 S420 on a new Cadillac CTS- V, the one with the Corvette engine. I like the edgy styling and the sportscar like performance promised. But I haven't owned a Cadillac for over 25 years. Anybody have any recent experience comparing them to Mercedes?

Anybody have any strong feelings for or against keeping a 99 W140 with the

420 engine that's out of warranty and has 58,000 miles?

Anybody have an opinion of price, if I want to sell the 99 S420, with all the usual bells and whistles, in good to excellent current condition?

Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
REInvestments

My dad bought a 2004 Caddy CTS in October, his has the 6 Cylinder engine it. I think that a Cadillac is a definate step down from the Mercedes. The leather in his caddy feels so much cheaper than mine does in my 300E. Even on the parkway up at 80MPH the Mercedes feels more solid that the Caddu. Still in my opinion for an American car, I still think that the Cadillac is by far the best American car built.

Reply to
Chuckyg

A Cadillac!? Keep the Mercedes! My work partner just bought a new CTS and its not even in the same league as my 97 E420. Your car only has 58,000 miles, the engine isn't even broke in yet. If you want a new car with sporting performance try any one of Mercedes AMG models, they will put a smile on your face much faster and for longer than a GM product.

Reply to
Mark Blog

If you really want the caddy wait and buy a slightly used one. Less than ten thousand miles and you will be shocked at how much cheaper you can get one.

I would keep the Benz, but there must be something you do not like about it or you would not be thinking about it.

If the warranty thing bothers you go get it starmarked. (yes it is possible)

Good luck!

Reply to
BS

Reply to
Camille

Have you driven it?

MC

Reply to
Mark Conklin

Hmm.... I'll top post here, I guess.

I have not driven the CTS-V yet. I tend to do some researching first. Have you driven it yet? I'm not in a rush, since the 99 420 seems to be running fine, is paid for, and only has about 57,000 miles. But I like the concept of the Corvette Z06 engine with 400 hp and a six speed auto transmission in a true five seater.

Reply to
REInvestments

I have not driven it yet either. Having had an association with several GM cars during the "dark period" I am still very skeptical that this car will be any good. I remember hearing the media buzzing about Cadillac already once, when the Northstar system came out. It was (is) a great engine but the car was still a piece of junk (front wheel drive - hah!). The Z06 Corvette is a great performance value achieved by cutting costs with a poor quality interior. I doubt the CTS will hold a candle to your W140. Drive the CTS and please do let us all know your impressions.

auto transmission in a true five seater.

So do I but GM will not get the benefit of the doubt from me.

MC

Reply to
Mark Conklin

It doesn't look like anyone here has tried the Cadillac, so I'll give it a try in the next few weeks if I can find one, and I"ll post my impressions. Thanks for the feedback. I've never been a big fan of American vehicles other than trucks and SUVs, but I had a 99 C-5 Vette convertible on lease for 3 years, and was very impressed with it. Absolutely no problems, great sounds, and an American vehicle (I live in the US so I'd like to see some of our industries survive). I've driven the Z06, and the engine and stick shift are very good. My question, like yours, is what is the car like that's built around it?

Larry

Reply to
REInvestments

Best route. We looked at and test drove the CTS a year or so back and rejected it because it appeared and drove as a much larger car than it really was. To me, that's a negative finding. For example, my daughter's S55 drives like a much smaller, nimbler vehicle than one expects.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

cool daughter.

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Yeah, but I take some credit for that. ;-)

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Larry,

You are indeed during a nice car right now, but I can understand your interest in the CTS V8. Which, incidentally GM will be racing a version of in 2004.

It's strange, but I have heard GM say the CTS is supposed to compete against the likes of the BMW 3 series and Mercedes C Class. Strange because it looks more like an E or 5 series competitor, at least to me.

I haven't driven on yet, but friends with late model Cadillacs tell me the quality is getting better and better and GM engines are world class.

As suggested best to wait another 6 months. Right now the CTS V8 will certainly attract some attention, but not quite the prestige as a V8 Mercedes. May I also suggest you ask friends what the reputation is of your local Cadillac dealer. That may be a factor in the decision also.

Enjoy.

Reply to
Ian

Then again, this ~is~ a mercedes group, you were expecting validation?

Reply to
Ken Bleau

Thanks for the thoughts. Tonight, after a 12 hour day, driving the 99 S class home was very relaxing, and I started to wonder if I want the work of a 400 hp stick shift as my passenger car. Either way, I'm too curious not to try the CTS-V, and they don't seem to be around yet. As soon as I find and drive one, I'll post some impressions.

Reply to
REInvestments

Actually, this Mercedes group has spent a lot of bandwidth criticizing the failing quality of Mercedes, particularly since the takeover of Chrysler by Daimler. In fact, part of the reason that I'm looking around at all is that I'm out of warranty on my 99 S 420 (placed in service in June of 1998) and quite a number of people advise that the future will be clouded with expensive repair bills.

While I'd still want a high horsepower stick shift for fun, I'd be far more likely to add a used Vette or something for the trade "up" cost of moving to a new Cadillac CTS -V (Trade in value on the S Class $ 30,000-- OTD on the CTS-V approx $55,000, differential of $25,000 would buy a 95 Vette) but for the concerns that the Mercedes could turn into an expensive and inconvenience laden form of transport.

Reply to
REInvestments

I thought cadillac had a

400hp car with auto. Perhaps I was thinking of the XLR? .
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Shhh! Stop thinking out loud!!! It is getting too noisy in here.

mcbrue quietlyandnonthinkingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

PS - did the "dark period" ever really end for american cars?

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

Sorry. I'll quiet down.

Arguably they are coming out now. That's the story Cadillac/Chrysler (Daimler-Chrysler) and to a lesser extent, Ford are telling. Cadillac is showing the most radical changes, and is working to retain their former "world standard" title. It will be hard for them to do.

Reply to
REInvestments

Yes, I think that is their car built at Bowling Green, next to Corvette. Very pretty, but it is a two seat convertible with a Northstar engine, costing $76,000. I need more seats. But if I didn't, I'd buy the new C-6 Vette before I'd buy a two seat Cadillac. Assuming, of course, that I didn't suddenly win the lottery, and decide I could throw away enough money to buy a Ferrari 360 Spyder : - )

Reply to
REInvestments