thoughts on 1984 380 sl

I am thinking about buying a 1984 380 sl 5 speed euro version. Any praise?? Any things I should watch out for??? What would be good price?? Excellent condition and 65000 miles. One owner.
I have 1985 500sel with AMG package. Great car, but it now has 170k on it and we keep having small problems pop up. Its my wife's car, so I get an earful when the slightest things happen. It has been dripping AT fluid for about a year now, not bad, just enough to make a mess in garage. I spent about $600 to have new front pump seal put in it, which fixed it for about two weeks. Now that it is leaking again, I am ready to buy something with less miles on it and manual transmission! Was our first mercedes and even though it was 15 years old when we bought it, it has been one of the best cars we have ever owned.
If it is only two weeks. the mechanic is obligated to repair this again free of charge.
thanks. Shop is two hours away, took 5 weeks first time. I am ready for a change. Besides, i like a 5 speed. I probably will take the car back though. Then try to sell. It actually looks cool with the spoiler on back.

free
5 weeks wait time? Where are you located?
north georgia. not any mechanics in my home town can service mercedes. I took it to marietta GA last time for repairs.

Obligated?
Your high. Marty
If you paid a mechanic $1000 for a repair.. and it didn't work, don't you think he is obligated to repair it?
jb wrote:

I have an American-spec 1981 380SL with an automatic transmission, so I cannot comment on the Euro specifications nor standard transmission, but I can comment on the rest of the car. In short, it's really an enjoyable vehicle. It's fun to drive, seats two quite comfortably, and maintenance is good. It also has a good-sized trunk. Parts are a little expensive, but as I understand it overall maintenance is comparable to a 500SEL, anyway.
One important thing to check is the timing chain. Make sure the engine has the double timing chain and change it as soon as you get it. If it has the single-row chain you can get it converted.
--
- Michael J. Astrauskas

JOL wrote:

I had an unttraceable ATF leak and it turned out to be very sneaky. The metal clips that hold the lines going from the transmission to the cooler, had worn pin holes in the lines. When the car was newly parked or starting in the driveway, the fluid leaked, but after the system pressure dissipated, nothing would drip. It took me a year to track it down.
JJ
mine is dripping off the bottom of torque converter and from pan gasket. I could fix pan gasket myself, I assume the torque converter is getting leaked on from front seal again, which I think would be a pretty big job.

about
with
bought

The 380 SL was never available from the factory with a manual transmission. Are you sure this info is correct? All 380 SL models (U.S., Europe, etc.) had 4-speed automatic transmissions. Maybe it's a (W 107) 6-cylinder 280 SL which was never available as a U.S. model and was available in Europe with a 5-speed manual transmission.
Best regards, Danny