Ticking noise in engine of my 420 SE (1989)

Hallo,

I own a 420 SE (1989) with 310000 kms. Since quite some time now I can hear a ticking noise coming from the engine when I accelerate: it becomes louder when accelerating and it?s hardly audible as soon as I stop accelerating. With the engine idling, I hear a ticking noise at both sides coming from beneath the black covers. Uptill now I had the following parts replaced:

-2 camshafts

-16 lifters

-16 rockers (cam levers)

-timing chain

-distributor cap

-spark plug wires and boot

-gaskets inlet manifolds

What else should be replaced/repaired to get rid of this ticking noise?? Or is it just simply a question of a bad ignition timing that sets off the valves??

Please let me know something if you recognize this problem?..

Thanks in advance, Rémy K.

Reply to
"Rémy K."

Could be warped cam towers. 420's are notorious for this damn ticking and it's invariably cam related. If you can mic out the cams that would help.

Reply to
Richard

This sounds like a single port exhaust leak... Take a piece of hose and hold one end of it to your ear, and with the other end move across the points where the exhaust manifold meets the head.

This could just be normal fuel injection sound? Or roller tappets?

Check the exhaust manifold as described above carefully... Your description points to this.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph