timing chain installation tool

The official Mercedes manual says to install the timing chain with a special tool for securing the link. Is this essential, or is there a way to do it without that tool that is just as good for the reliability of the chain? (The engine is out of the car, being overhauled.)

Obviously, I don't want to risk the disaster of a chain break, but I'd rather not buy this tool for a single use, or truck the engine to a shop that has one, if there is an alternative.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Reply to
Kent

I believe such a tool can be rented from a parts supplier. Take a look at

T.G. Lambach

I never found a rental tool. So I use 2 hammers, one to buck up the backside and another to bludgeon the front. Hey, I worked for me a bunch of times.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Thanks for the response. I did look at that site, but didn't find anything about renting there. I've sent them an email, just in case.

Any other ideas of a supplier who rents MB speciality tools? My Google searches have come up dry.

T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Kent

Contact a local MB garage to see if you can rent it from them... leaving them deposit along with payment.

Reply to
Tiger

Look at the new chain:

- If it is continuous, with no master link, install as-is when you install the sprockets.

- If it has a master link with a slide-on retaining clip, install chain, insert master link and slide the retaining clip on the notches of the master link with the open end away fron the direction of chain travel. Be really, really sure it is snapped into the notches correctly

- If the master link does not have the slide-on retaining clip, the tool you need is called a chain breaker and is used to press out an old link after you grind the head off of the pins. It also expands or rivets the ends of the pins of the new master link when you install it. Motor cycle shops sell this tool and many will rent it or do the work cheaply. Otherwise, the two-hammer method works but be careful you don't maim the chain or get the link too tight.

Make sure the chain timing is correct , keep the chain clean, and you probably want to remove the chain tensioner when you do this.

Reply to
M. Davis

Performanceproducts.com Chain Press Tool #58-023 (single row) or 58-016 (double row) $195 with a RENT ME banner - call for details. Page 191 of Catalog #45M

Reply to
T.G. Lambach