Timing Chain on a 300E

My wifes car has 130, 000 miles on the odometer. We change the oil with Mobile 1 on a regualr basis. The car seems to be ok. When should that chain be replaced?

Next time you have the valves adjusted it's an exta 5 minutes to check the chain stretch. If t's above a certain amount (10 degrees off the top of my head, don't take that as an authoritative figure) then repace the chain. I usually replace the tensioner too, cheap insurance.
Unlike cars with timing "belts" a timing chain does not have a finite service interval, but as said, it and the chain tensioner/rails, should be checked. Usually, the tensioner starts to fail long before the chain stretches out of spec. A good test is to listen to the engine on start up. If you hear a chain rattle at startup that disappears when the oil pressure builds up a few seconds later, that's a classic sign that the tensioner should be serviced.
The rule of thumb on the MB V-8s is 10 years and/or 100,000 miles. However the chains almost never break on these engines. The plastic parts on the guide rails age and get brittle and break and drop into the chain and cause the chain to jump on the gear and that's when the poop hits the fan. So as long as you are going to replace the chain you always replace the guide rails too, and vice versa. Same for the inline engines. __________________________________________

up.
pressure