Timing chain prob...300CE-24

I've just installed a new timing chain and now find it virtually impossible to install the chain tensioner without the help of two assistants and a couple of pry bars. It is as though the chain is too short to allow any significant amount of slack . I've counted the links and come up with the

130 spec'd on the MB CD so now I'm in a quandary. Should I put in another link or force the tensioner? Is this a normal situation with a new chain? I have taken the tensioner apart and re-assembled it in the non-pressure position, that is with the plunger not out past the detent. I am out of ideas and could sure use some expert advice. BTW, the bottom timing cover is off so I can see that everything is as it should be regarding the crank sprocket.
Reply to
Jerry W