Tire question

Hi, Time to change tires on my 94 C220. The OEM tire size is 195/65/15, the shop is offering me also

205/60/15. They said, for the same price, I should go with 205/60/15. What's better ? Also my MB book recommends tightening the bolts at 110 lb/ft. The shop said they usually do it at 90-95, but can do it at 110. Again what do I do ? Thank you.
Reply to
dk

Wheel bolts should be torqued to 110Nm which is 80lb/ft

Reply to
miknik

If YOU can get the 110 ft lb lug bolts off then go for it, I probably could not and wouldn't.

The wider tires will make the car's steering react quicker to the steering wheel. There will also be more road feel or feedback to the steering wheel. The wider tires will not be as good in snow as the narrower tires. The lower aspect ratio (60) tires will ride a bit harder.

Measure the circumference of the old and new tires, a larger circumference will cause the speedometer to read lower and smaller circumference to read higher.

Be sure the motivation to change size comes from YOU and not the tire shop's trying to unload some tires on their shelf.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

In regards to the speedo, have a peek at this site:

Punch in the OEM tire size and the ones you plan on getting, and it will calculate your speedometer innacuracy.

Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Let's see... the Mercedes engineers who designed, tested, and built the car recommend one size, while a guy at a tire shop recommends another size...

I would at least check his engineering credentials before I took his "advice."

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

My owner's manual (page 98) says "110 ft.lb. (150 Nm)." ?

Reply to
dk

I wrote one too and made a few improvements; it's a little easier to use and you can bookmark the results pages for quick reference.

Richard J. Sexton (At work

Going 1-plus larger is unlikely to cause problems. I have done this on all my eClass cars without any problems. The 205/60's will give you 24.7" inch overall diameter vs 24.9" on the 195/65's so speedometer will be OK. The sidewall height will also be just about the same ( 4.85 inches vs 4.99 inches).

The wider 205s will look and handle better and you will likely have more tire choices for your money.

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

If the stock size is 195/605-15 then you want 215 not 205 series tires if you're going to a 60 series.

Dirmire is right you don't want to take any old guys advice, MB's are picky about tire size, put on bigger ones and the car gets right snakey; put on smaller ones and you're revving the piss out of a motor that's already fairly "revvy" in many cases.

215/60-15 is the closest 15" tire to stock 195/65-15.

Or if you don't want to cut ans paste it if it's wrapped try this; who knows how long it's good for though:

Richard J. Sexton (At work

Reply to
KINGLIFER