Tires for the 300TD

We've had some discussions on tires here recently, but I'm curious what people have found to be good tires for the 300TD. Mine's a '79 123 body. It has Michelin Xs on it now, ancient I'm sure and I just noticed the belts poking through on the inside edge of one of the fronts.

So I'm a long-time Michelin guy, but I'm open to suggestions. Costco sells the Michelins for a good price, but the only ones I see on tirerack.com are the Harmony tires which I know nothing about (well plus the HydroEdge, but it rains like twice a year here). Then Costco's site won't let me browse their tires unless I give them my car model and year, and they don't list the TD nor do they go back to 1979... Sigh. (LOL Michelin's site has the exact same behavior. Someone's a cheapskate.)

My car has 195/70R14s on it, and that's what TireRack says is factory. The speedo reads 3-4% high, so I wonder if it'd be worth popping up to

205s? Dunno...

Thoughts? Looking at Michelin's site for help, they have the Harmony, Destiny, and X Radial, and all appear to be the exact same tire with slightly different tread patterns...

I'm not wedded to Michelin, either, if anyone has any compelling thoughts about alternatives.

thanks,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Based on 205/70R14, I'd probably pick Dunlop SP60... it is rated #4 in that category... has pretty high rating in every categories plus when you buy 4 tires... they will give you $50 back... which is almost one free tire. I call that a good bargain.

Most W123 owners goes for the 205 size rather than factory 195.

Reply to
Tiger