To the 190e guys that helped me

I just wanted to say thanks!
I went and looked at the 86 190e 2.3 again, and they did take my offer of $1500. A few things that I didn't notice on my first drive:
*Water temp reached 100 degrees celsius, I don't know if it would have gotten hotter or not.
*When sitting at a stop light in D, the engine would hunt up a few hundred RPMs and the car would want to surge ahead with it. When cold, it was a little rough at idle, but not too bad.
*I could sometimes hear a grinding sound from the font brakes when stopping.
*A few times I thought I heard some noise, like wheel bearings, when making turns. I did a few 360s in a parking lot and didn't hear anything later during the test drive.
I talk to my mechanic and he said they were pretty good cars and I couldn't go wrong for $1500, I agree. But now that I found this 87 190e 2.6 for $2000 with a new head gasket, water pump, chain tensioners...i'm tempted to pay a little more, don't you agree?
I would be leery of any car that required head gasket replacement. Peter

2.6/3.0 103 engines normally puke oil out the right front corner of the head gasket. I would be shocked if it was not replaced! The later 104 engine was worse.
That 2.3 standard operating temp is 100C. That is when the electric fan on the water pump turns on. It will actually run cooler with the A/C on! The electric fan kicks on when the pressure switch on the drier turns on the front fan.

On my 190E 2.6 the gasket on the top timing chain cover had hardened and developed asignificant oil leak. This could have been construed as coming from the right front corner of the head gasket. Peter

How come? just curious..
Just get ol' Rusty and diddle with those little issues! The other one your talking about sounds like a tub of poo! $2000 for a car with the amount of work and selling for less than the repairs seems fishy!Also when your test driving these W201s',take a tyre pressure gauge with you and check tyres pressure,as some people will overinflate tyres to hide suspension,drivability problems!

Yeah I guess it's got four mix matched cheapo tires on it that are all faded and nasty, the front two are by Cooper. Yuck. Thats enough to scare someone off by itself.
The bad news is that the used car bums came back and said "oh well my manager said he wont take less than 2 grand" for ol'rusty, after he already said go ahead and sell it for $1500. That ticked me off, so I need a few days to think it over. Maybe i'll just hold out for a 260E/300E :) I suppose $2000 still isn't a bad price though if the car is sound, 117,000 miles after all.

The m103 has an aluminum head, could we warped if it was overheated (and not replaced)
cp