setting the car rich enough to start properly or setting is lean enough to run smoothly. I couldn't figure it out, and neither could my mechanic. At first we though that maybe it was leaking somewhere while the engine was off, but it wasn't. I gave up. Then, while I was checking all the fluids before driving my car down to college, I noticed one of the cells in my battery was totally dry. I filled it up, and voila, now 2 months later the car still runs smooth and starts quickly. Richard
Battery problem?! Wow... that must have been a bad battery you bought... what brand was it?
It was a Benz battery. There must have been a small leak in that one cell or something, because 1.5 months later it was empty again. I got it replaced this last time I went home, hopefully this one won't leak (my battery tray has a hole the size of my fist in it now). Richard

On 2004-10-10 11:31:20 -0700, "marlin"

Cars with electronic fuel injection systems run by a computer can be very finicky about proper supply voltage. This most likely to show up when starting and when at an idle. when the battery is supplying most of the juice for the electronics.
I remember fixing an injected BWM(745i) by observing the battery terminal was corroded and disassembling and cleaning it.
The owner of that car did not believe I had done anything to fix it and I could see on his face he thought I was an idiot.
He sent me a card a couple of weeks afterward thanking me and telling me I was a genius for saving him a lot of $ (he was ready to replace injectors/distributer etc.)
Not always easy to spot though.
Marty
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:31:20 GMT, "marlin"

Had a similar probelm with my 450SLC. It would turn over but not fire.
Problem was a loose battery terminal.