torque converter drain to 6 oclock

Tried to get my torque converter drain to the six oclock position in a '83 300D. The girlfriend would bump the starter but the darn engine kept starting up. Major league frustration.

What can I disconnect to keep the darn engine from starting?? I did not see an electrical connection to the IP -- is it 100% mechanical?

Reply to
Ron Tellus

socket on crank turn slowly you do the hard work let her look

that is the way we did gas motors

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

These old diesels are 100% mechanical; they don't even need a battery after they're running.

Put a 27MM socket on the crankshaft and turn the engine by hand or a wrench on the power steering pump's pulley and turn the engine that way. Be sure you turn it in the correct rotation, not backwards.

Alternatively, you can remove the 80 amp link from the glow plug relay and use the starter to bump it but now without its glow plugs operating.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach