Towing 240D With A 300SD?

Thinking about towing a 240D across the country with a 300SD, unhitching the 240 at steep inclines and taking it easy...
Is this possible? Anyone know the towing capacity of a 300 SD or the
empty weight of a 240D?
I don't see any problems with towing provided your transmission and drive line is in good shape. Lots of torque from the 300SD. Watch the speed and temp gauge and you should be fine.
240D weighs about 3,500 lbs.
A 300SD isn't a tow truck; this is a bad idea if you want to keep the SD.
Thanks for the advice.
I tend to think you are right. The engine and chassis could handle it, I bet, but I'm not sure about the transmission.
However, I might want to tow a lighter load eventually. Did MB provide the towing capacity of the 300SD?
T.G. Lambach wrote:

Here's a website that may answer the question about the towing capacity of your car.
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/towing.html
Mike

I've travelled many times all over central europe in the last 8 years and have seen "many" W123 200D (2L 4CYL) towing trailers with cars (crazy CIS citizens hauling cars back home), though I wouldn't do that to a w126. Also, my dad put in a '77 300D non turbo and auto transmission into a much heavier ford econoline camper van, so far it has driven about 100,000 miles and its great, slow up hill but good for 80mph, if that engine can do it then so can your 300SD. Though who knows about the transmission and all those hills... u-haul it! :)
cp
"cp1" wrote: > > 240D weighs about 3,500 lbs. > > > > A 300SD isn't a tow truck; this is a bad idea if you want to > keep the SD. > > I've travelled many times all over central europe in the last > 8 years and > have seen "many" W123 200D (2L 4CYL) towing trailers with cars > (crazy CIS citizens > hauling cars back home), though I wouldn't do that to a w126. > Also, my dad put in a '77 > 300D non turbo and auto transmission into a much heavier ford > econoline camper van, so > far it has driven about 100,000 miles and its great, slow up > hill but good for 80mph, if that > engine can do it then so can your 300SD. Though who knows > about the transmission and all > those hills... u-haul it! :) > > cp
ck this out n0rt
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t 7336&highlight=gulf

Cute, but not as cute as a w123 200D (2L 4CYL) diesel pulling a trailler with a couple of cars :-)
cp