Towing point SLK

Hi Guys

On my 2001 SLK, there is a very obvious towing point (bracklet, loop, eye, circle? (I dont' know what to call it)) at the rear of the car and I understand that there is a similar towing point at the front of the car perhaps behind the grill someplace.

Can someone tell me where that is please?

Thanks/Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Always use a flatbed for MB...

Reply to
Tiger

Why?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yes, the second truck I called was a flatbed and he used the towing point at the rear of the car... after the first truck had hooked onto the front tierod and snapped it. The second driver told me that there was also a tow point at the front of the car but I couldn't find it. I'd just like to know where it is for future reference. Can you help?

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

I think if you look at the front bumper you will see a square about 2 inches. this covers a socket in the bumper that you insert a hook.

Check your owners manual for specifics like where in they hide the hook and how to attach it.

You probably want to limit the towing in this manner to pulling only short distances and or attaching the car to the flat bed tow truck.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thank you for the information... That's just what I needed to know and I'll look for it when the car comes back from the shop.

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Snapped a tie-rod? Some mothers sons, I swear. But this does confirm what I've always felt about tow truck drivers.

If it's an automatic you have to keep the rear wheels off the ground if you're going above about 20 mph. Otherwise the pump in the tranny fails. You can disconnect the driveshaft but this is probably a bit more work than your average tow truck pinhead is willing to do.

Use a flatbed for a Mercedes. Accept no substitute.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Well, I must say that a few months ago my auto needed a tow into the garage and it was pulled off the ground onto the back of a lorry. But thne the oil had leaked out of the engine...:-(

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

PS. Not SLK (CLK).

DAS