Transmission dip stick

I have a 2003 MB E320 with approx. 40K miles. I had noticed that there is no transmission (or engine) dip stick but I figured that eventually I would buy one. I am not that interested engine oil dip stick since the computer can measure the oil level. I am more interested in the transmission dip stick so this week I called the dealer and asked if I could purchase one and how much $$. (I figured that eventually, with years of use, a transmission will develop a leak...and...then what do I do to determine the correct fluid level ??). Anyway, dealer said "item not for sale to customers" (I live near the Wash. DC. area) not even if I special order the thing. "bring your car to the dealership and we can service your transmission when needed". OK fine !!

My question is when did MB stop putting dip sticks on their vehicles and can I go to a junk yard and get one from an old model MB which would be compatible with mine ?? Best--- were can I bye a new one ??

Reply to
Mike

New tranny got a new way to fill. No dipstick is required and is pretty much a no-brainer. For example on a BMW 5 speed tranny, there is two bolts... one on bottom for drain and one near the top of the pan... this is the fill hole and you basically fill the tranny up as much as possible until it start leaking back out.

Then you start the car up and run it and fill again as much as possible until it comes back out. Then you are done. I am not sure on MB but I suspect similar instruction.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger.

I just popped the hood on my car and noticed that there is a tube to the top of the transmission at the back of the engine (near the fire wall). It's about 1/2 inch in diameter, about 3 feet long and it goes down to the top of the transmission. Looks like the old fill pipe so I could ??? pour fluid to fill the transmission. Got under the car and noticed one small torx bolt that I could remove and drain the fluid. Not going to drain any fluid yet (will wait until warranty is over) but I intend to keep this vehicle for a while so I will eventually replace the fluid. I appears that the set up for this car "might" not the same as your BMW.

I would like to know how to replace and measure the transmission fluid on my 2003 MB E-320. ???

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Mike

MB removed auto gearbox dip sticks because DIPSTICK owners kept overfilling them and knackering the box. The level is only accurately measured when the Star machine tells you the ATF temp is correct (80'c). As you won't have a star machine either, best leave it to the professionals. If there's no leaks, there's no problem with the level.

Reply to
Lee

Lee: I don't know what you mean by Star machine but I purchased a dipstick (Measuring Stick--MB part# W 140-589-15-21-00). After running car for several miles (80'C temp) I measured transmission fluid and it indicated that it is over filled. Overfilling was done at the factory since no one has added fluid to the transmission.

My problem now is that I have to take to the dealer to get the pr> MB removed auto gearbox dip sticks because DIPSTICK owners kept overfilling

Reply to
Mike

The Star machine is the computer your main dealer uses for diagnoses. Are you measuring the oil level correctly? ATF Oil temp must be 80'C and not the Coolant temp. The temp of the oil is where the Star machine comes in as it will read the Temp sensor in the gearbox. The Dipstick has Two sets of markings. MIN/MAX at Low Temp and MIN/MAX at

80'C. Are you using the correct markings? Finally, have you got the car on level ground, in Park with the Engine running?
Reply to
Lee

Thanks Lee...now I understand what the Star machine is for. Ok...back to the transmission oil check. I drove 300 miles (from NC to MD) so I know the tranny oil was up to temperature. I got home, went in the garage (which is fairly level), car in park, and I measured tranny oil level, It measured about 1/2 in. past MIN/MAX 80'C marking which indicates to much oil.

So...back to my comment, factory put too much fluid !! It does not take a rocket scientist to add/replace/remove drain plug from transmission. No different than changing engine oil. I won't mess it up. I just wanted to measure the level. Have not added or removed any fluid yet.

Anyway, my next trip to the dealer for 50K mile service is another 3 m> The Star machine is the computer your main dealer uses for diagnoses.

Reply to
Mike

If you are sure it is too full, go back to the dealer and complain immediately... Get them to make it right, and get it off you mind.

My 2c(US) Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Like you said. It ain't rocket science. But you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to check it properly. Keep going on about the oil temp as it makes a big difference. Look at the difference between the Hot/Cold markings on the dipstick! Doesn't sound like you've got any gearbox problems, so I wouldn't worry about your "extra" oil. It's probably the only Free stuff you'll get from MB!

Reply to
Lee

well with that thinking just fill the tranny up to the top.

the dip stick is there for a reason!

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to