Transmission fluid capacity?

1980 240D Auto transmission.

Does anyone know the fluid capacity of the transmission? I have to drain it an want to have the correct (not to small :) catch pan. And only 1 trip to the store.

Thanks, in advance.

Oh, What I did was add a pint of auto transmission fluid that turned out to be power steering fluid. Stupid. I assume I have to drain the entire transmission, run the car 5 milieus or so, and then re-drain? Car did not run with the power steering fluid in it.

Reply to
Boris

Make sure you drain the pan AND the torque converter. An allen-head plug drains the converter, which holds as much as the tranny. Turn the crankshaft with a

27mm socket while feeling through the access hole in the bottom rear side of the bell housing for the plug to appear. You don;t have to replace the seal on the plug but don't lose it either.

Fill the tranny with four quarts, start the engine and engage all the ranges, Then add a pint at a time while checking with the dipstick. Probably will be full at about six quarts. DO NOT overfill- until the tranny fluid is warm (that is after having been driven fifteen minutes) a correctly filled tranny will read BELOW the full range of the dipstick.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

This is unlikely to cause a problem. Just correct the fluid level. If the tranny fluid and filter haven't been changed for a long time, do it anyway.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

I like this plan! The car's an old junker, but my only car. I'm old and the 'open the drain plug' is going to hurt (me). I only drive around town about 4,000 miles a year. The transmission filter and fluid were completely changed in May 2003. You sure if I don't do 'nuthing I'm OK?

Thanks

Reply to
Boris