Transmission fluid change

My 79 300td(automatic Transmission) is having problems shifting when it warms up to operating temperature. I suspect that the filter needs changed and the fluid--but am wondering if there is fluid in the torque converter that needs to be replaced also--or if it has one!! Tom Lambach has been my mentor on this vehicle and my 240 d-but due to my losing his e-mail address Ive been unable to contact him for his honest evaluation!! Any help would be appreciated! Blaine

Reply to
Toppy

Hi Blaine,

Yes there's fluid inside the torque converter and it can be drained and replaced along with the rest of the transmission fluid. One needs to slowly turn the engine until the torque converter's drain plug is at the bottom of its rotation.

Your car's transmission is probably "flaring" - delaying its shift and allowing the engine to rev between shifts. Not a good symptom.

Be sure the fluid level is correct - between the marks on the dip stick, checked hot and with the engine idling with the gear in N or P.

Suggest you have the fluid and filter changed; then pray, including the wife and kids.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Are you suggesting some type of sacrifice to the tranny gods?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

If you aren't able to do the transmission service yourself, should you trust a transmission shop, or a Mercedes-only shop for this?

Reply to
Randall Brink

what is Tom's address?? what in your address do I leave out--its always a trick!! and when I remove the drain plug in the torque converter-how do I refill it? Blaine

Reply to
Toppy

Torque converter is refilled by the transmission's internal pump. You just need to do the draining, the pump does the refilling, then you add some more fluid to the transmission to bring it to the correct level.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thank you! Kind sir!!

Reply to
Toppy

Good advice, and good post. Believe it or not you need to tell some people exactly where the tranny fill tube is if they're not mechanically inclined. I once bought an Oldsmobile from a guy I'd told how to change tranny oil, you know, drain the torque converter, etc., and then to put in 11 quarts of AT oil. He did that and called to let me know his car wouldn't move an inch. Asked him if he put in 4 or 5 quarts, started the engine to fill the converter and he said yep. He called me two days later and asked if I wanted the car for $200 since the transmission was obviously no good now. I bought the car sight unseen and had two friends pick it up for me. When I raised the hood it looked like someone had used oil in a fire hose to totally cover the engine. Yep, turned out he'd put all the tranny oil in the engine. Drained and changed the engine oil and filter, put in new tranny oil, steam cleaned under the hood and sold that car for a bundle! Hey, maybe this could turn into a real business.....humm......

Reply to
Ernie Sparks