Transmission fluid change

My 79 300td(automatic Transmission) is having problems shifting when it warms up to operating temperature. I suspect that the filter needs changed and the fluid--but am wondering if there is fluid in the torque
converter that needs to be replaced also--or if it has one!! Tom Lambach has been my mentor on this vehicle and my 240 d-but due to my losing his e-mail address Ive been unable to contact him for his honest evaluation!! Any help would be appreciated! Blaine
Hi Blaine,
Yes there's fluid inside the torque converter and it can be drained and replaced along with the rest of the transmission fluid. One needs to slowly turn the engine until the torque converter's drain plug is at the bottom of its rotation.
Your car's transmission is probably "flaring" - delaying its shift and allowing the engine to rev between shifts. Not a good symptom.
Be sure the fluid level is correct - between the marks on the dip stick, checked hot and with the engine idling with the gear in N or P.
Suggest you have the fluid and filter changed; then pray, including the wife and kids.
Tom

Are you suggesting some type of sacrifice to the tranny gods?

If you aren't able to do the transmission service yourself, should you trust a transmission shop, or a Mercedes-only shop for this?
--
Randall Brink
Author