Transmission fluid question?

Does any one know how to properly check the transmission fluid level? According to the manuel book; after engine idle for about 2 min, it should in the midle of the low and high points of the stick. But if you drive the
car for about a distance, the fluid level will go over the high point of the stick. What should we follow? After egine idle for 2 min or after the car drove for a distance? Thanks!
The fluid should be checked when it's HOT!
That means driving the car for a distance - say 5 miles, to be sure - parking it on a level surface and, with the motor running and the gear selector in P, checking the level, which should be BETWEEN the H and L marks.
Too much is as bad as too little.
It should be at the low mark when the engine is running, cold. It should be at the high mark when engin is running, hot. No more, no less.
I just had my expert mechanic change the transmission fluid, and he had me go through all the gears a few times with my foot on the brake, to remove any trapped air, so he could top up the fluid accurately.
"I just had my expert mechanic change the transmission fluid, and he had me go through all the gears a few times with my foot on the brake, to remove any trapped air, so he could top up the fluid accurately"
I had my expert that charges $70 an hour do mine a while back. When I checked it a few months later, it was way over filled, at least a pint. Don't know exactly, as I used a oil bucket/pump gizmo to suck it back out and it went into the bucket of used oil.
It should be at idle for 2 minutes...Best way to do this is drive around town...come home and park the car and let it idle for 2 minutes and then check fluid level.
Thanks all for the answers! The Benz mechanic told me that drive the car and look at the coolant temp in side the car reach at 80. The fluid mark must be between low and high point!As the way some of you said! Thank you all again! Quang