Transmission Front Pump Question - 1990 300E

I was backing down the street rather quickly one day and heard a high pitch whine that I usually hear going in reverse but the sound continued as I went forward. I then discovered that I was leaving a
pool of transmission fluid when I would switch the car into reverse. It's an automatic transmission. The fluid smelt and looked burnt and I took it to a mechnanic that I'm good friends with and he recommended that I have the transmission rebuilt since it had to come out anyway to fix the front seal. I agreed to that and he sent the car out to who ever does his transmission work for him. A day later the transmission people that he uses said the Front Pump was cracked and would have to be replaced. Anyone ever hear of this happening i.e. the Front Pump cracking? What should I expect to pay for the rebuild?
Pump crack... don't know about it myself. Maybe he meant the internal gearing broke and cracked the front pump casing... It is pretty intense pressure in there.
The pump itself is $386... so most people just buy a whole new tranny instead.
Call up Silver Star Transmission - MB transmission rebuilder
(800) 369-6601
They are very reputable and knowledgeble... All they work on is MB tranny... Last time I spoked to them... they quoted $1100 for the tranny rebuilt... since your pump is bad... you probably will have to eat the core charge too.
I think you are looking at $2200 for the job... which is 50% of your car's current value.
Another possibility is to buy a part car... with a good tranny and put it in your car... Plus, you have all the spare parts for your car and can sell the remainder of stuff. It is time consuming but your cost of a good tranny can be a mere couple hundred of bucks.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id 4428734&dealer_id=&car_year89&make=MB&distance=any&max_price 00&model00E&advcd_on=n&end_year93&min_price=&certified=n&address054&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year86&color=&cardist0
The above is for example.... however you need a car close by you...