Transmission Problem

It takes my '82 300CD-T about 2 or 3 seconds to shift into reverse with my foot on the brake. If I take my foot off the brake sooner than that, it will start to reverse, but not if it's up any sort of incline. Also,
when the car is cold it seems to shift very hard from 1st to 2nd. Any ideas? Major problem or minor fix?
eyeball kid wrote:

Make sure the vacuum system is good first, before jumping to conclusions about the Tranny.
Good site with info:
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com//AutomaticTransmissionInformation.html
Regards, ws
--
change to leews to mail

Suggest the transmission fluid be changed, including draining the torque converter and replacing the filter. You don't know when it was last done, should be done every 30K miles.
That may relieve the shift delay into Reverse.
1 to 2 shifts when the box is cold are, well, shall we say .... FIRM.
Once YOU know that, you'll let up on the throttle in anticipation.
It's when ALL the shifts are harsh that there's something to fix.
Agreed!
You guys are the best... Thanks for helping out the newb. I feel like the hard shifting happens only when the car's cold, so I'm glad it's not totally abnormal at first glance. Do I need a mechanic to check the vacuum system or can I DIM? Same question for the tranny fluid/torque converter/filter.

Have a shop do it because it's VERY important that NO DIRT gets into the box. Be sure they drain the torque converter as part of the service. To give you an idea of cost, last time, I paid about $75 for a "transmission service."
As to vacuum lines - they're either intact and connected or they're not, it's no mystery - except when there's a leak "somewhere," like in a door lock.
For something like this, does it need to be a Mercedes shop or can I just take it to the EZLube down the street? I don't want to be overprotective of my car, but I don't want to skimp and cause it harm, either.

If the quick lube shop has the machine to completely swap out the fluid, then go ahead and do it.

Although, I would purchase a good quality filter and ask them to use it just to be safe.