Transmission problems

Hi everybody. I was hauling my camping trailer up a pretty steep hill today, and was about to shift down to 3.rd gear (automatic transmission)when all of a sudden it
would not pull anymore. The engine R.P.M's went up, but the speed decreased. It was almost as the chain had jumped off a bicycle. First I tried to stop the engine and then start it again, but to no avail. I then let the car and trailer roll slowly down the hill just to get out of the road. NOTHING was working. After a while I tried to give some throttle, and it started to pull at around 2500 rpm's, and it seemed like it was in 2.nd or 3.rd gear. I then moved the gear lever thru the entire range from 1.st to park, and back to Drive, and everything was working again. I have driven approximately 300 km's since then, and everything seems to be working all right. Does anyone know what was happening??? I would really appreciate some input since it is my first day of the vacation, and If something is about to happen I really would like to know about it.
I might add that I drive a 1999 E220 CDI Wagon Thanks in advance Steinar Fagerheim