Trick to remove instrument cluster and console on 300?

I have a Mercedees 1989 300e and need to fix a light bulb so that I can see the instrument cluster at night. I can't figure out how to remove it.

Also I need to replace a window switch.... can't figure out how to remove the console...

Thanks or the help

Reply to
cabob1984

The 123 clusters can be pulled outward toward the steering wheel using a wire hook. Your model may be similar.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I hope you`ll forgive my poor English. You can pull out the instrument cluster by using 2 bend cloth-hangers. I never use any tools however, I just put my hands in at both sides,apply some pressure and gently pull out the cluster. In order to fix the window switches, you probably dont have to remove the console, you can pry out the switches with a small screwdriver or something. If you have to remove the console anyway, you first have to remove the vertical part, that holds the AC and radio etc. This can be removed by removing the screws inside the ashtray, and in some models the nuts behind the blowercontrol.

grtz,

Eelco ( from the netherlands, the tiny country next to the mercedes factory )

Reply to
Eelco

This information from a 1993 300e. Your car may vary.

Use your fingernails or a flat screwdriver to pop out the transmission gear selector bezel in the console. It has tabs that stick straight down and are captivated in the consle structure under the wood trim. Look in the console storage bin, remove any screws and lift the bin out of the way. Same for the cassette storage bin. You should then be able to lift up the wood trim around the switches. There are two versions of this trim. If yours has been replaced with the new one, there will be two holes in the wood that are filled with black plastic plugs at the front under the ashtray. In this piece, the switch retainer is attached to the wood trim and you pop the switches out from behind. If you have the old style wood trim without the dummy switches, the retainer is atached o the console and the wood just lifts off. Some switches are held in the wood, some are held in the console. You may have to put the transmission in N to get it off if you need to, but you can probably get the switches out without completely removing the wood trim.

I'm telling this from memory, so some details may vary slightly, but I hope you get the idea.

Al

Reply to
Al Waschka