Troubleshooting ML CD changer

My wife's ML is equipped with the Bose stereo with 6 CD changer. Over the past few weeks, the action of the changer has become increasingly erratic, requiring several bumps of the on/off button to properly load a disc.

Now, it seems as though it's given up the ghost entirely. No response at all, won't release the CD cartridge, etc. The head unit gives an error code (CD err3), of which I can find no reference to in the MB booklet.

Any ideas?

TIA

Reply to
Loose Cannon

Thanks for this thread. I am having problems with some music CDs getting stuck in my navigation system because I don't have a CD changer. I thought about getting the expensive merceded CD Changer (since you can't really hook up any brand like most cars).... but you made me realize that although mercedes makes sexy cars with great engines, they just can't make electronic components-period! Hope they make Lexus sexier soon.

Reply to
H8That

"Loose Cannon" past few weeks, the action of the changer has become increasingly erratic,

Make sure the power cable on the changer is properly connected and supplying voltage (is the changer's eject button illuminated? If not, check the power cable with a voltmeter). If so, then it sounds like either something (maybe a self-made CD label?) has become stuck in the changer and jammed it, or it's just time to repair/replace it.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Done. It is *receiving* power, it's just not *acting* on it. I've removed the unit, and have spent a bit of time looking at it. Nothing obvious jumps out at me. Won't even release the cartridge, loaded with six of my favorite discs. Looks like it's going to be a bear to get 'em back.

If so, then it sounds like either something (maybe

The latter appears to be the case. I've just had a chat with my friendly local dealer, who informs me that the changer unit *alone* is $965! I seem to recall that's about what I paid for the entire unit (head, amp,speakers, changer) as a purchase option. Grrrrr...

Anyway, thanks for your input, Rodney.

Reply to
Loose Cannon